Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the last thing that excited you?

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Live samba at carnival. They have these little tambourine style drums that they play with these flappy flexible 3 pronged sticks. You get maybe 12 people playing them at once in a percussion orchestra of maybe 100 and you can't belive these little 8 inch things could possibly make such an ear splitting racket. They play these mutated swung triplets interlocking with all kinds of other crazy cross divisions over the ever shifting pulse to disorientate your mind in the funkiest way possible. Just that clever African rooted shit, but with a swaying Brazilian twist. Intense. Impossible to stay still.
    This stuff?

Isso!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    luka will sneer of course but this mix was v important for me too

i was so excited when i first got into dubstep... mixing it, listening to it, going to DMZ and FWD, meeting all these people

SNEER ALL YOU LIKE BAHTI
    for me its hatcha dubstep allstars vol 1, untouchable.

bahti doesn't really like anything that is too industrial or linked to that continuum in anyway. weird but whatever, considering that black people in chicago and detroit were merging those sounds with house and techno when most white people were still listening to um.. erasure. monoculturalism amirite? whatever happened to afrodiasporic tits? this is the thing with bahti i can justify my contradictions because i am the god of contradictions, but he's trying to challenge me for dominance. he might have a bigger cock but it's all down to the technique.

um. thing is though I can understand Luka that scene had some weird politics, they were mad when noone was turning up to plastic people, then when it got big, they threw it away like a difficult child. i wish you would acknowledge that corpse as well. like i remember martin talking about how shackleton said there were only 50 people at plastic people, but he was there even when they had to put a robot on the dancefloor to fill up the space because there was literally noone there. fucking hell lads, that's nothing to brag about!
    Last edited by thirdform; 06-04-2019 at 10:15 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Live samba at carnival. They have these little tambourine style drums that they play with these flappy flexible 3 pronged sticks. You get maybe 12 people playing them at once in a percussion orchestra of maybe 100 and you can't belive these little 8 inch things could possibly make such an ear splitting racket. They play these mutated swung triplets interlocking with all kinds of other crazy cross divisions over the ever shifting pulse to disorientate your mind in the funkiest way possible. Just that clever African rooted shit, but with a swaying Brazilian twist. Intense. Impossible to stay still.
    yeah this is the 160 bpm samba shit ive been after forever, but noone's telling me which records to get. cracking stuff.

Have asked around and most people didn't know. There's loads on YouTube. Have a feeling its something they just go and see live. In SP they have around 20 samba schools, which is where the giant samba bands get together twice a week all year round to practise for the next carnival. Full force.

Lot's of current Jungle, be it neo-Oldschool or that slow, minimal stuff. Great things, that get - gladly - unnoticed by smug music journalists....

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Lot's of current Jungle, be it neo-Oldschool or that slow, minimal stuff. Great things, that get - gladly - unnoticed by smug music journalists....
    You mean stuff like Forest Drive West, Sully and Overlook?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    You mean stuff like Forest Drive West, Sully and Overlook?
    Among others, yes

this just came out this week, not sure if it fits what yr talking about (a little more ravey) but I dig it

This is why I'm here really. To find new stuff. See what's in the loop now. For a while I've been happy just buying the occasional Rod Modell CD.

And finding interesting sounds like the sound of the White Stork. Nice field recording.

Dark ops are the ones to check though. bringing that sort of techy 96 vibe into 2019. jungle techno also sort of coming back with western lore, tim reaper etc. yeah it's not the most cutting edge sound ever but nothing is in 2019, especially not deconstructed club which is neo-IDM 2.0. agreed on smug journalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey
    You might as well be ashamed of an erection

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.
    Hey i don't pile on dubstep my argument is different to Luke's and bahti's nonexistent one, my argument is that the undoing of dubstep wasn't it going commercial but the heads not knowing how to deal with it going commercial and retreating to a self-serving purism. but like techno/house purism or jungle purism every purism is selective in its application of a past era. with jungle/dnb purism it's mostly 96-97 and not a lot of 94. similarly with techno-house purism it's mostly house-techno from 91-92, but not the mentalist stuff coming out of new york and detroit in 92-94.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey
    You might as well be ashamed of an erection

anyone listened much to Ian Loveday beyond his more well-known singles (Spice, Fear the Mindkiller)? been exploring the rest his discography for the past few weeks and there's some amazing stuff in it.

besides the humor and crazy sounds, he low key had a REALLY good sense of groove. as in he can get very rhythmically detailed, but is always hyper-aware of how everything fit together to create a sense of motion. never misses the forest for the trees basically. as a result his later tracks feel extremely nimble and in-the-pocket even when, by all rights, they should just be boring minimal techno.

I still get excited by the Ifach stuff. Love it when he went all minimal in the 90s.