What's the last thing that excited you?

version

Old or new, for the first time or on a revisit.

------------------

I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.

luka

Two different hills. A hill overlooking the Dart valley, and a hill overlooking London. I'm often excited by ideas beginning to articulate themselves, finding words to materialise themselves but I haven't had any of those for a long time now. So those two views, and also the beginning of spring. That excites me on a very visceral level, as more energy available to the organism, as happiness, light, heat, change.

version

I think most people have experienced this, but I sometimes think back to being dragged on family walks as a kid and how boring my parents going on about 'the view' was. It clicked in my late-teens, but at the time it felt like a punishment.

luka

I often don't feel equal to a view. Just as I don't always feel equAl to a piece of music, book, painting, conversation. Sometimes I'm not tuned in. Not open enough.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lance Morgan's deep tech night in Tottenham a few years ago

Kode 9's night at Corsica

Other than no excitement other than the joy of discovering a new alltime favourite from time to time.

Numbers

Artists who attempt a systematic effort at a specific theme or problem, like the musical exploration of memory (Caretaker) or scales (Perala's colundi experiments).

glasshand

dj panic attack
Old or new, for the first time or on a revisit.

------------------

I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.

my friend played some skream on radio a few weeks ago and it really took me back to this mix and loads of really strong memories from nearly 15 years ago. mostly reminded me of being sat in the back of my parents car listening to this over and over on my ipod staring out the window at night while we were going on a family holiday, couldn't get over hearing a brand new genre

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
my friend played some skream on radio a few weeks ago and it really took me back to this mix and loads of really strong memories from nearly 15 years ago. mostly reminded me of being sat in the back of my parents car listening to this over and over on my ipod staring out the window at night while we were going on a family holiday, couldn't get over hearing a brand new genre

luka will sneer of course but this mix was v important for me too

i was so excited when i first got into dubstep... mixing it, listening to it, going to DMZ and FWD, meeting all these people

SNEER ALL YOU LIKE BAHTI

glasshand

dj panic attack
I am listening to it again right now and mad to remember these bird noises that go on through the whole thing

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess there's some truth in dubstep being grime for students

But OTOH it wasn't really like grime, it had more dynamics to it - thinking of skream's ancient memories rmx here

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Maybe Sly and the Family Drone live. I've seen them about three times now, Cambridge, London and Brighton. A bunch of blokes who look a bit like they should be running a craft brewery set up in a circle in the middle of the audience with big amp stacks, synths, pedals and lots of drums. ("There is no place for guitars in this band".) Lots of freeform sax skronks, bleeps, feedback, drumming, and noise, generally all banged into the time-honoured quiet, moody bit / loud, ecstatic-cathartic bit format. Final crescendo, drums handed out to members of the audience, beer spilt, people climbing on amp stacks. End.

I mean, on a formal level there's nothing particularly clever about it, but in a small room with a lot of people it's pretty viscerally exciting.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Live samba at carnival. They have these little tambourine style drums that they play with these flappy flexible 3 pronged sticks. You get maybe 12 people playing them at once in a percussion orchestra of maybe 100 and you can't belive these little 8 inch things could possibly make such an ear splitting racket. They play these mutated swung triplets interlocking with all kinds of other crazy cross divisions over the ever shifting pulse to disorientate your mind in the funkiest way possible. Just that clever African rooted shit, but with a swaying Brazilian twist. Intense. Impossible to stay still.

version

Live samba at carnival. They have these little tambourine style drums that they play with these flappy flexible 3 pronged sticks. You get maybe 12 people playing them at once in a percussion orchestra of maybe 100 and you can't belive these little 8 inch things could possibly make such an ear splitting racket. They play these mutated swung triplets interlocking with all kinds of other crazy cross divisions over the ever shifting pulse to disorientate your mind in the funkiest way possible. Just that clever African rooted shit, but with a swaying Brazilian twist. Intense. Impossible to stay still.
This stuff?

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
luka will sneer of course but this mix was v important for me too

i was so excited when i first got into dubstep... mixing it, listening to it, going to DMZ and FWD, meeting all these people

SNEER ALL YOU LIKE BAHTI

for me its hatcha dubstep allstars vol 1, untouchable.

bahti doesn't really like anything that is too industrial or linked to that continuum in anyway. weird but whatever, considering that black people in chicago and detroit were merging those sounds with house and techno when most white people were still listening to um.. erasure. monoculturalism amirite? whatever happened to afrodiasporic tits? this is the thing with bahti i can justify my contradictions because i am the god of contradictions, but he's trying to challenge me for dominance. he might have a bigger cock but it's all down to the technique.

um. thing is though I can understand Luka that scene had some weird politics, they were mad when noone was turning up to plastic people, then when it got big, they threw it away like a difficult child. i wish you would acknowledge that corpse as well. like i remember martin talking about how shackleton said there were only 50 people at plastic people, but he was there even when they had to put a robot on the dancefloor to fill up the space because there was literally noone there. fucking hell lads, that's nothing to brag about!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

yeah this is the 160 bpm samba shit ive been after forever, but noone's telling me which records to get. cracking stuff.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Have asked around and most people didn't know. There's loads on YouTube. Have a feeling its something they just go and see live. In SP they have around 20 samba schools, which is where the giant samba bands get together twice a week all year round to practise for the next carnival. Full force.