Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: What's the last thing that excited you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,003

    Default What's the last thing that excited you?

    Old or new, for the first time or on a revisit.

    ------------------

    I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,424

    Default

    Two different hills. A hill overlooking the Dart valley, and a hill overlooking London. I'm often excited by ideas beginning to articulate themselves, finding words to materialise themselves but I haven't had any of those for a long time now. So those two views, and also the beginning of spring. That excites me on a very visceral level, as more energy available to the organism, as happiness, light, heat, change.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    I think most people have experienced this, but I sometimes think back to being dragged on family walks as a kid and how boring my parents going on about 'the view' was. It clicked in my late-teens, but at the time it felt like a punishment.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,424

    Default

    I often don't feel equal to a view. Just as I don't always feel equAl to a piece of music, book, painting, conversation. Sometimes I'm not tuned in. Not open enough.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    That's part of it though, right? The good stuff pushes you.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,304

    Default

    this slice of london-south african jazz. luke when are you gonna get wifi so i can send it you?

    https://www.discogs.com/Chris-McGreg...h/master/29645

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    this slice of london-south african jazz. luke when are you gonna get wifi so i can send it you?

    https://www.discogs.com/Chris-McGreg...h/master/29645
    That's Mike Figgis' group isn't it? His son was DJ Fabrok on Kool FM in the early 90s. I'm not making enough money to commit to wifi just yet. Need more sun first but we're getting closer.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,607

    Default

    Lance Morgan's deep tech night in Tottenham a few years ago

    Kode 9's night at Corsica

    Other than no excitement other than the joy of discovering a new alltime favourite from time to time.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Artists who attempt a systematic effort at a specific theme or problem, like the musical exploration of memory (Caretaker) or scales (Perala's colundi experiments).

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Old or new, for the first time or on a revisit.

    ------------------

    I pulled up some old Skream bits after everyone piled on dubstep in the 'nuum poll thread and got quite fired up over them. I'd forgotten how evocative some of his stuff was, there's some quality to it which hits me on a gut level and draws in all these images of England in the mid-'00s I have floating around in my head and brings them back to life; stuff people wore, stuff that was on TV and so on. I get the same thing from BiDC (particularly the opening of Sittin' Here) and Original Pirate Material, they just sound like a particular time in a way I find hard not to get caught up in.
    my friend played some skream on radio a few weeks ago and it really took me back to this mix and loads of really strong memories from nearly 15 years ago. mostly reminded me of being sat in the back of my parents car listening to this over and over on my ipod staring out the window at night while we were going on a family holiday, couldn't get over hearing a brand new genre

    https://www.mixcloud.com/DubstepArch...for-blackdown/

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to glasshand For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasshand View Post
    my friend played some skream on radio a few weeks ago and it really took me back to this mix and loads of really strong memories from nearly 15 years ago. mostly reminded me of being sat in the back of my parents car listening to this over and over on my ipod staring out the window at night while we were going on a family holiday, couldn't get over hearing a brand new genre

    https://www.mixcloud.com/DubstepArch...for-blackdown/
    luka will sneer of course but this mix was v important for me too

    i was so excited when i first got into dubstep... mixing it, listening to it, going to DMZ and FWD, meeting all these people

    SNEER ALL YOU LIKE BAHTI

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205

    Default

    I am listening to it again right now and mad to remember these bird noises that go on through the whole thing

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,607

    Default

    I guess there's some truth in dubstep being grime for students

    But OTOH it wasn't really like grime, it had more dynamics to it - thinking of skream's ancient memories rmx here

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,682

    Default

    Maybe Sly and the Family Drone live. I've seen them about three times now, Cambridge, London and Brighton. A bunch of blokes who look a bit like they should be running a craft brewery set up in a circle in the middle of the audience with big amp stacks, synths, pedals and lots of drums. ("There is no place for guitars in this band".) Lots of freeform sax skronks, bleeps, feedback, drumming, and noise, generally all banged into the time-honoured quiet, moody bit / loud, ecstatic-cathartic bit format. Final crescendo, drums handed out to members of the audience, beer spilt, people climbing on amp stacks. End.

    I mean, on a formal level there's nothing particularly clever about it, but in a small room with a lot of people it's pretty viscerally exciting.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothrop For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    On the bus
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Live samba at carnival. They have these little tambourine style drums that they play with these flappy flexible 3 pronged sticks. You get maybe 12 people playing them at once in a percussion orchestra of maybe 100 and you can't belive these little 8 inch things could possibly make such an ear splitting racket. They play these mutated swung triplets interlocking with all kinds of other crazy cross divisions over the ever shifting pulse to disorientate your mind in the funkiest way possible. Just that clever African rooted shit, but with a swaying Brazilian twist. Intense. Impossible to stay still.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •