luka

the feminin pressure was always the weakest point of the nuum i thought, not because it isn't a valid argument, but because loads of women are into all that hard as nails jump up and darkstep.

This is completely irrelevant to this thread. Take it up with Simon.

version

This is unfinished business for the board. This is our main area of active inquiry so let's get back into it.

Do you think all music requires this push and pull in order to be successful or just that it tends to work better than going exclusively one way or the other?

luka

Everyone's passive. no idea why. we're just artifically electrifying the bord.

It doesn't have to all get done today though. It's a discussion which was prematurely dropped due to a family falling out and I'd like to use the next couple of weeks to reanimate it.

luka

I thought the only way to reanimate it would be to prune off the nasty embarrassing bits and present the ideas again.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I haven't fallen out with anyone. I'm a norrth london connoisseur. i can vsee validity in any music. even got a big place in my heart for the raregroove suave man ollie craner. even if he might be fucking my class mate these days it's all good i can channel my hate energy for those posh cunts through his libido. I know secrets Aleister Crowley doesn't. this is the real meaning of live and let live. live and let the hate flow through the love.
:love: :love: :love: :love:

blissblogger

that is the weakpoint of left analyses of fascism. nazi germany had swing bands! Mussolini's granddaughter (who has high profile contacts with the far right) made Italo disco.

i thought the whole thing with swing in the Third Reich was that it was an underground of youthful dissidents - who had dance parties that were forbidden, a bit like rave culture but the penalty was death. for the Nazis swing would have been degenerate Negroid culture, and its fashionability among European youth a form of decadence.

from Wiki:

The Swing-Jugend, or Swing kids, was a movement among mainly youth from 14–20 years old who dressed, danced, and listened to jazz in defiance of the Nazi regime. The Nazi Party acted against this movement by detaining several of the young leaders of the Swing Youth and sending them to concentration camps. However, the Swing Youth continued to resist the Nazi party by participating in prohibited swing and jazz activities (Neuhaus). Charlie and His Orchestra was moved in the still bombproof province.[8] Jazz was also incorporated into musical works such as operas and chamber music through "art-jazz", which utilized jazz-inspired and ragtime-inspired syncopated rhythms and modes. Famous operas such as Krenek's Jonny spielt auf! and Boris Blacher's Concertante Music for Orchestra are examples of art-jazz (Dexter).

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah that's not really an accurate narritive. you want to check Anti-Music: Jazz and Racial Blackness in German Thought Between the Wars by Mark Christian Thompson

The jazz that adorno was listening to was precisely the type of German jazz the nazis adopted.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
eden also has that watson adorno for revolutionaries book which i not read. I think it talks about the british union of fascists having their own jazz bands, he'll have to tell you more.

luka

yeah that's not really an accurate narritive. you want to check Anti-Music: Jazz and Racial Blackness in German Thought Between the Wars by Mark Christian Thompson

The jazz that adorno was listening to was precisely the type of German jazz the nazis adopted.

Given none of us can locate, purchase and read that book in time to pick up the thread of conversation why not summarise its findings for us and then tell us what you think those findings indicate.

version

eden also has that watson adorno for revolutionaries book which i not read. I think it talks about the british union of fascists having their own jazz bands, he'll have to tell you more.

Was it like their dirty secret or were they trying to wrestle the music away and make it their own?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
make it their own. all of which throws adorno's cultural industry stuff into a bit of doubt. not all culture is topdown and propaganda, similarly not all propaganda is topdown, what is truly frightening about fascism is that it appeals to quotidian subconscious prejudices, subconscious notions of order and the process of accumulation. this is what makes it so appealing to the middle classes. they see themselves in the orator and the statesman. the aristocrat only gravitates to fascism out of sheer necessity. which is what i was trying to say to the tea man but for some reason he wanted to claim we live in an aristocratic society...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I get the feeling that the backlash to dubstep on this incarnation on dissensus doesn't have as much to do with boredom as people make it out to be, undoubtedly most of it is unspeakably boring, no ifs or buts about it. but there was an impulse there that was a conscious invocation of music only really happening in the absence of silence, or put it this way, music as organised noise only makes sense in the absence of noise. this is why progressive metal is unlikely to appeal to most people into house. there is no room for empty space there. some people say the four to the floor is boring because it doesn't change like breakbeats, but that's missing the point, you're supposed to listen to the bits between the kicks, claps high hats and snares. the panache and the shuffle. Droid's deep listening ideas i feel are very key here.

and people will say nah nah but we love lee perry. but a lot of that is for its weed haze and lo fi production values.

Last edited: