what are you listening to at the moment?

catalog

As well as the dub, grime, jungle and hardcore punk that Blunt grew up on and was surrounded by, you can hear traces of American rap – deep, thugged-out vocals crop up frequently, and they've sampled Cassie and Drake.

"Craig David is the original Drake," Blunt theorises. "Everything about him. The mixed-race thing; he's not sure if he can be gangsta enough, he's quite a nice boy, but then he gets popular and he gets really arrogant, and starts to believe he's this thing that he's not. It's amazing."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/05/hype-williams-speak-the-truth

catalog

i've mentioned elsewhere, but these urbanomic plague podcasts are very good. i'm currently listening to the latest one:

but you might wanna start at the beginning.

he's not played any dean blunt yet, but he has played quite a lot of good jungle, grime and some other bits, marillion, some folk etc. he's had proc fiskal, nick land and lee gamble on previous shows. perhaps he is already cancelled cos of nick land?

the chat, whilst ridiculously theoretical for the most part, is very funny, has lots interesting moments. eg he had a guy on talking about how, over the last 40 years or so, birds have steadily had to modify their calls, removing the nuances and focussing on volume, to compete with traffic noise, which is why they are now a bit loud. have i written this before? idk?

and he's got this text-based adventure game, 'coronaquest', which i thin he's running off an amstrad, that he makes everyone play.

this particular episode has a guy called jason babak something who is like a new reza, and in fact they have a little to do. they are talking about demons, and whether the pandemic could be considered demonic.

woops

is not like other people
urbanomic!

i'm listening to the first one, sounds like it was recorded above a body shop in leamington spa

catalog

yes i think he's continuing the ccru spirit in his own way. wait til you get to the one wher ehe's discussing the optimum corona snacks

catalog

they are all ridiculously long, so i would advise just keeping them on and going about your day... i've fallen asleep to several of them and relistened etc. the final hour of each is the best i would say - he's reached a point of exhaustion and then he plays the best jungle

catalog

er yeah, changes a bit... has the odd guest. if you go on his site https://www.urbanomic.com/ and click into each individual one, you can see the guests. they all leave or fall asleep before the end usually. on the most recent one, reza just fucked off without telling anyone, cos they were all challenging him too much

version

Love the Manhunter soundtrack (esp this track), never seen the film though
That one and 'Confrontation' from the Thief soundtrack seem as though Mann wanted 'Comfortably Numb' and had to settle for having someone do something similar.

You should watch Manhunter. It's good.

luka

ive got the dvd here if youre nearby come and pick it up. i'll be awake for about another hour or two

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Punishment of Luxury - Laughing Academy

I listen to this every so often trying to decide whether it's great or dreadful. I've never managed to reach closure on this important question :unsure: