what are you listening to at the moment?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
seen as practically we're going around in circles with noone really willing to discover music that isn't outside of the rigidly prescribed parameters of an age old discourse...

I'll start

What you lot think? how do the melodies sound, the rhythmics without drums, what emotions are evoked?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There's something bittersweet and strained about it to my ears. You can also hear where the drums could or should be and bop along in places and I like that the rhythmic and melodic elements are so intertwined. It actually reminds me of some of the stuff posted in the banjo thread the other day, it's got the same twanging melancholia to it.

yeah i can definitely hear that strain though i associate that more with the yearning of the classical musics from that region. mind you a lot of turkish folk stuff can be very yearning as well. I feel this stuff is the only really heavily melodic music outside jazz/soul/disco continuum i can really get into.

try this?

I feel like the melancholia is more down to earth here. it's not so much yearning you can sort of get in that liminal zone that is both joyous and melancholic simultaneously. whereas the dariush talai is very serious.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it seems like bittersweetness is kind of sheepishly ignored in underground music fandom. why's that? that seems a more fruitful idea than funk basslines being masculine.

Leo

mdou moctar. just saw an ad that he's playing locally in a few months, think I'll go.

(for some reason this video is silent for the first 40 seconds before the track starts)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
The Cure - A Forest (12:33 extended mix)

and when it finishes I'll probably play it again – it just goes round and round and round :)

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm listening to a merengue/kompas LP by Les Djoubaps as sadly, I have to sell it. It's pretty good but I need money rn.

I like these threads that vary away from the danceelectronics template

DannyL

Wild Horses
Now I'm listening to that Oteki track which is great though Ir do feel that solo instrumentation is more demanding of me as a listener, like I'm expected to absorb every small nuance.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
What's your top Cure album Stattron?

Three Imaginary Boys :) . I liked Seventeen Seconds and Faith as well, but the first one has a particular charm to it, I think, and it's not much like anything else they ever did.