Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 183

Thread: The Dissensus Framework

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,374

    Default

    So dematerialisation is connected with orgasm/womb sort of language because you're re-physicalising the language about a supposedly abstract art?

    The insight that there is no dematerialisation - material is all.

    Wordsworth, preface to lyrical ballads, the physicality of language in its 'native' state... (Rural, naturally)

    'Humble and rustic life was generally chosen, because, in that condition, the essential passions of the heart find a better soil in which they can attain their maturity, are less under restraint, and speak a plainer and more emphatic language; because in that condition of life our elementary feelings coexist in a state of greater simplicity, and, consequently, may be more accurately contemplated, and more forcibly communicated; because the manners of rural life germinate from those elementary feelings, and, from the necessary character of rural occupations, are more easily comprehended, and are more durable; and, lastly, because in that condition the passions of men are incorporated with the beautiful and permanent forms of nature. The language, too, of these men has been adopted (purified indeed from what appear to be its real defects, from all lasting and rational causes of dislike or disgust) because such men hourly communicate with the best objects from which the best part of language is originally derived; and because, from their rank in society and the sameness and narrow circle of their intercourse, being less under the influence of social vanity, they convey their feelings and notions in simple and unelaborated expressions. Accordingly, such a language, arising out of repeated experience and regular feelings, is a more permanent, and a far more philosophical language, than that which is frequently substituted for it by Poets, who think that they are conferring honour upon themselves and their art, in proportion as they separate themselves from the sympathies of men, and indulge in arbitrary and capricious habits of expression, in order to furnish food for fickle tastes, and fickle appetites, of their own creation.'

    Borges explained this with the example of 'the river of time' - a metaphor many of us use without ever spending time near a river.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 08-04-2019 at 03:43 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    It is interesting, his humourlessness. As you say, when he smirks, it's almost 'for the benefit of' the humans.

    What that might say about him, about his sense of a self, a self without cracks.

    It's why he's so comical a person, above all - that he can't see the joke.
    He is also quite possible the most thin-skinned person who has ever lived. A veritable snowflake-in-chief.

    I think this is quite common to people with enormous egos - it's as if their ego is much larger in extent but actually no more massive than anyone else's, so that the bigger it gets, the thinner and more fragile it becomes, to the point where a mild joke that most people would be able to brush off is felt so acutely almost as to cause physical pain.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Borges explained this with the example of 'the river of time' - a metaphor many of us use without ever spending time near a river.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    why is Anna Livia Plurabelle a river?
    .

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,655

    Default

    Luckily I Iive and work by a river.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    apollo and dionysus don't fit with the two broad polarities we've established.

    we've now got two axis. i think.
    Last edited by sadmanbarty; 08-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:


  9. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Eros - Thanatos.

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    thirdform thought that our divergence was pantheist vs atomised. actually we're both atomised, but he's apollo. i'm dyonisian
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    apollo and dionysus don't fit with the two broad polarities we've established.

    we've now got two axis. i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Happy Hardcore sounds artificially feminine to me, a masculine idea of the feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    emotion dispensed so rapidly as to become information. they are signals, no longer feelings.

    red is no longer rothko, but a flashing emergency light.
    what we're talking about here is iconisation+dionysian
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

  12. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,655

    Default

    Ok home again let's have a look at this lot

  13. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a dullard.

    What is the aim of this framework?

    I understand you've established these polarities - but what do you do with them?
    You ask the kind of intelligent questions webeschat asks here

    WebEschatology WebEschatology is offline
    Ruby Tuesday
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    169
    Default
    got a crude question but it pertains to an old discussion i saw you lot were having on here about how alot of slang now reflects liquids (drip and so on)

    What do you lot think of UK drills (as far as im concerned) obsession with piss? especially in regards to say who is or isnt on piss(man are always talking about how the ops aint on piss aswell as not doing any bootings)

    Im surprised nobody has brought it up when talking about this genre.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  15. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    So dematerialisation is connected with orgasm/womb sort of language because you're re-physicalising the language about a supposedly abstract art?

    The insight that there is no dematerialisation - material is all.

    Wordsworth, preface to lyrical ballads, the physicality of language in its 'native' state... (Rural, naturally)

    'Humble and rustic life was generally chosen, because, in that condition, the essential passions of the heart find a better soil in which they can attain their maturity, are less under restraint, and speak a plainer and more emphatic language; because in that condition of life our elementary feelings coexist in a state of greater simplicity, and, consequently, may be more accurately contemplated, and more forcibly communicated; because the manners of rural life germinate from those elementary feelings, and, from the necessary character of rural occupations, are more easily comprehended, and are more durable; and, lastly, because in that condition the passions of men are incorporated with the beautiful and permanent forms of nature. The language, too, of these men has been adopted (purified indeed from what appear to be its real defects, from all lasting and rational causes of dislike or disgust) because such men hourly communicate with the best objects from which the best part of language is originally derived; and because, from their rank in society and the sameness and narrow circle of their intercourse, being less under the influence of social vanity, they convey their feelings and notions in simple and unelaborated expressions. Accordingly, such a language, arising out of repeated experience and regular feelings, is a more permanent, and a far more philosophical language, than that which is frequently substituted for it by Poets, who think that they are conferring honour upon themselves and their art, in proportion as they separate themselves from the sympathies of men, and indulge in arbitrary and capricious habits of expression, in order to furnish food for fickle tastes, and fickle appetites, of their own creation.'

    Borges explained this with the example of 'the river of time' - a metaphor many of us use without ever spending time near a river.

    Feel a bit deflated to realise virtually no one has read a single word I've written here over the last few years.

  16. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,655

  17. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Feel a bit deflated to realise virtually no one has read a single word I've written here over the last few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Iíve had months of disillusionment and frustration with dissensusí inability to engage in substantive discussion. Maybe this whole time everyoneís just viewed me like a monkey wanking myself off in front of zoo-goers and didnít even bother to read what we were talking about.
    tortured artists.

    pathos
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:


  19. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Feel a bit deflated to realise virtually no one has read a single word I've written here over the last few years.
    what's wrong with what he wrote then luke?
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •