Unsound:Undead

version

Unsound:Undead - https://www.urbanomic.com/book/unsoundundead/

For as long as recording and communications technologies have existed, the potential of the vibrational continuum that connects sound to infrasound, ultrasound and other inaudible frequencies has been evoked to access anomalous zones of transmission between the realms of the living and the dead.

For the past ten years the AUDINT group has been researching these peripheries of sonic perception (unsound) and the portals they open to new dimensions, activating a continual intersection between fiction and fact, and pressuring thought to become something other than what it has been. The 64 short essays in this volume probe how unsound serves to activate the undead.

Contributors from a variety of disciplines chart these warped zones, mapping out a zigzagging timeline stretching from the 8th century BC (the song of the Sirens), to 2013 (acoustic levitation), and speculatively extending into 2057 (the emergence of holographic and holosonic phenomena).

With texts by: Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Lendl Barcelos, Charlie Blake, Lisa Blanning, Brooker Buckingham, Al Cameron, Erik Davis, Kodwo Eshun, Matthew Fuller, Kristen Gallerneaux, Lee Gamble, Agnès Gayraud, Steve Goodman, Anna Greenspan, Olga Gurionova, S. Ayesha Hameed, Tim Hecker, Julian Henriques, Toby Heys, Eleni Ikoniadou, Amy Ireland, Nicola Masciandaro, Ramona Naddaff, Anthony Nine, The Occulture, Luciana Parisi, Alina Popa, Paul Purgas, Georgina Rochefort, Steven Shaviro, Jonathan Sterne, Jenna Sutela, Eugene Thacker, Dave Tompkins, Shelley Trower, and Souzana Zamfe.

version

Kode9 and AUDINT use vibration to connect with the undead in Urbanomic essay collection - https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/43575

A new essay collection titled Unsound:Undead is being published by Urbanomic.

Edited by Steve Goodman (AKA Hyperdub founder Kode9), Toby Heys and Eleni Ikoniadou, the book collects ten years of research by the AUDINT collective exploring how inaudible frequencies connect the living and the dead.

Featuring 64 short essays from musicians, writers and philosophers like Tim Hecker, Kodwo Eshun, Lee Gamble, Lisa Blanning and Paul Purgas, Unsound:Undead skirts a line between fact and fiction, veering from the "8th century BC (the song of the Sirens), to 2013 (acoustic levitation), and speculatively extending into 2057 (the emergence of holographic and holosonic phenomena)."

The enigmatic AUDINT crew has been responsible for a host of installations, tapes, records, software, performances and more since 2009. Neither a record label nor art collective, the group evades easy description. In conversation with Creative Applications, AUDINT said their research focuses "intensely on the phenomenon of vibration. Ever since the invention of recording technologies such as the phonograph and telephone, vibration has played a key role in military and scientific research, as well as in cultural production, due to its capacity not only to connect but to converge and deterritorialise the realms of the living and the dead."

droid

This old chestnut. Check out the EVP stuff from Konstantīns Raudive - there was a remix album as well IIRC.

droid

Thanks! Gets a bit techy towards the end - probably went past my outer limit, but worth it for that Beachdrifta/Paradox mix.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to check this out, what a lineup of contributors (Erik Davis (check out his podcast), Eugene Thacker, Tim Hecker, Kodwo Eshun.... goddamn). I just wonder if any of them can provide real examples of this phenomenon at work in recorded material. That would really be something. Or at least: not nothing. The EVP examples I've found online are less than compelling.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I just wonder if any of them can provide real examples of this phenomenon at work in recorded material. That would really be something. Or at least: not nothing. The EVP examples I've found online are less than compelling.

I feel like you were hinting at something real here but after the Eilish thread unraveled it's clear this group cannot handle that bombshell, or shell bombing. Shame.