version

I probably just felt impatient for series 2.

I'm pretty sure I watched the whole of the first series of the wire in 1 night. Also Narcos more recently.

It happens occasionally, like a shameful drug binge. Suddenly it's 7am, the credits are rolling on the penulimate episode and I'm wondering what normal people are doing right now.

It feels insane to have to wait a week to watch something now. You just expect it all on demand what with Netflix et al.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
What's with the shame?

It's like saying I can't believe I'm into chocolate cake AFAIC

Have an instant reaction to anything this popular. Also anything that feeds into the infantilization (especially via forced nerd culture) paradigm. Peter Jackson and the Star Wars revival being big players in all that. But this show is not as quaint as those. Plus the birds are fit. Idk, feels like I'm being hypnotised somehow, but I'm down with it.

version

It feels like Breaking Bad to me, in that it's sucked me in and I've enjoyed it but I can't ever imagine watching it all again.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think I will rewatch it all one day, but for me it's not compulsively rewatchable because it's so frequently unpleasant.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Are there any shows you have rewatched all the way through?

The Wire, maybe three times... Which is also mostly unpleasant. But that was in my pre-employment days. If I was unemployed again like that I'd probably watch GOT through a few times.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Twin Peaks (including the film and the series from 2017)
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
House of Cards (for as long as it had Kevin Spacey in it)
Got pretty into Peaky Blinders too but I've not seen all of it (yet)

version

I've watched The Wire a few times and I went back through Twin Peaks before The Return, but think that's about it aside from a few comedy shows like Partridge and Peep Show.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Someone said something a few pages back about how the reason it hooked people in was cos they couldn't have massive battles and stuff and they had to concentrate on the dense plotting etc This is spot on and it was surely what dragged people in - ok nerds are cool and everything now but even so I'm sure there are loads of people who still say "I'm not into that swords and dragons shit" and they watched it and got dragged in and were still able to say that it was different and it was more like The Wire or something and pretend that they were not watching a thing about dragons. Which was kinda true in a way I guess... but gets less true as it goes on I'm thinking. Right now they've got everyone on the hook and in the final series people will watch it even if Sean Bean comes out of the shower like JR and reveals that everything since he died was a dream.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As for watching more than once - I watched to about season 4 on my own, then watched it all the way through to the end with my girlfriend. And seeing as it's on telly right now I'm kinda half watching season 2 right now as I type although I will turn over for Porto v Liverpool in a bit. Once you've seen it all you can just dip in and out and know what's happening and also see something you didn't remember or didn't understand at the time because it there was so much going on and you couldn't take it in without knowing stuff that happened later.

version

The Marvel stuff feels like a weird franchise/box set hybrid these days, although I don't really hear of people binging it in the same way.

luka

Binging is about bite size chunks isnt it. Not three hours slogs. 6 hours in one hour slices.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Surely without an "e" that word is pronounced to rhyme with ringing?
Whatever, a binge is when you do loads of something I believe. Binge drinking aint about bite size chunks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wikipedia says "A binge is a behavior engaged in excessively over a short period of time" so I sorta see what you mean, but if you watch ten episodes in a row then that is a binge to my mind cos a) it's excessive and b) although it's ten hours it's still a relatively short period compared to how you were supposed to consume it.

luka

Not talking dictionary definitions. I was just saying box set binges are linked to tv shows typically, not to films. Confectioners have also found people will eat more overall if its lots of small bits rather than one big bit. Science innit.

luka

That's certainly been my experience. The thought of watching two films in a day grosses me out but I've watched three or even four episodes of GoT or The Wire with barely a break. Or like, peanuts. If it was one big peanut how long would it take before you got sick of it?