Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

The major sticking point for many was Dany’s apparent transmogrification into an unhinged tyrant, as if this was something that happened in the space of five sour-faced minutes.

Nah, not buying it. Consider:

Dany has been burning people alive since Mirri Maz Duur in season one...

...who betrayed her, causing her son to be stillborn as a deformed monster, and her husband reduced to a vegetable;

...the Tarleys...

...who refused to bend the knee;

...Varys...

...who plotted to oust (and presumably kill) her and install Jon as monarch in her place;

...the slavers...

...who enslaved people, duh.

Dani's entire raison d'etre, since the first series, has been to punish those who wield power with cruelty and to protect the small folk. Admittedly, Varys was neither cruel nor (conventionally) powerful, but he threatened her authority and probably also her life, and he knew the danger he was putting himself in because she explicitly threatened him with a reptilian roasting if he ever betrayed her when he first entered her service. But destroying the surrendering Lannister soldiers and most of the civilian population of King's Landing is totally out of character for her, even taking into account her gradual turn towards authoritarianism.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I don't get this thing of comparing killing a single (probably evil) enemy and roasting thousands of helpless citizens.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's the way I saw it. The point was that the only thing sustaining him was the prospect of confronting his brother.
It's like Frankenstein when the Doctor is living only to kill the monster which in turn is only staying alive to try and fuck up his life.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Like I said, the ends I'm quite content with (except maybe the Night King stuff), but the means has been rushed and garbled.
Yeah this is exactly how I feel.

I did roll my eyes reading about that petition
This too in fact. I hate this weird thing now where fans feel that they own films/shows etc Is it the internet? The revenge of the geek? If we had fans designing everything by committee it would all be totally bland bollocks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm watching episode 5 again to prepare for the finale as I knew I was pretty fucked when it was on.... must have been more out of it than I thought cos loads of it is totally new to me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I thought that ended fairly well all things considered. A few too many long lingering serious scenes with dramatic and emotional music but if you thought we were gonna get away without that you must be mad. I liked the way they tricked you into thinking for a few awful seconds that it was gonna end with the invention of democracy... and then veered right away from that idea thank fuck.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't believe they had Sam whip out a copy of the book.
Well they chucked in a few comedy moments didn't they. I guess that was partly just to say that Tyrion wasn't in it. I think they thought that they had earned a few jokes by the end. Some might say they could have given more time to some bits so they didn't have so much time to fill in the final episode, I dunno...

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I don't get. That is completely unimportant. But all the northern guys (certainly the Starks) have accents from the north of the UK. All the southerners such as Lannisters etc have accents from the south of the UK (ok not Jamie maybe - at the start certainly). But Ser Davos is from King's Landing isn't he? Why is he a Geordie?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One thing I don't get. That is completely unimportant. But all the northern guys (certainly the Starks) have accents from the north of the UK. All the southerners such as Lannisters etc have accents from the south of the UK (ok not Jamie maybe - at the start certainly). But Ser Davos is from King's Landing isn't he? Why is he a Geordie?

This has bothered me from the start. But it's not even consistent among the Starks - Jon and Robb have/had northern accents (well, sort of), but the other kids all have fairly generic, posh and definitely southern stage-school-type accents. You'd certainly never place Bran or Sansa as a "Northerner", would you?

Also, if it's very loosely based on regional accents in Britain, the Wildlings should be Scottish, shouldn't they?

muser

He should've definitely had a Cornish accent. Wildlings being being Scottish might have been a bit too close to the bone though ha.
I just heard mentioned in some podcast that HBO wanted it to be 10 seasons and the writers made the choice to shorten it.. new opportunities with Star Wars, wanting to get it done and move on etc. Seem like their reputations are in shatters now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just heard mentioned in some podcast that HBO wanted it to be 10 seasons and the writers made the choice to shorten it.. new opportunities with Star Wars, wanting to get it done and move on etc. Seem like their reputations are in shatters now.
I think they'll be alright.
Also shouldn't Robert, Stannis and Renley have the same accent being brothers - brought up together as far as I know.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, I thought that ended fairly well all things considered. A few too many long lingering serious scenes with dramatic and emotional music but if you thought we were gonna get away without that you must be mad.

Yeah, I would say it went a long way towards making up for the general shitness of the rest of the season. Dani's death, Jon's grief and guilt and Drogon's distress were handled well and very moving, I thought.

I'm not sure why Westeros still needs a Night's Watch, what with the Wildlings no longer being enemies and the White Wankers vanished. Perhaps the Thenns are still unfriendly, what with being complete dicks. I guess it's implied or at least hinted that Jon is destined to become the new KBtW?

I liked the way they tricked you into thinking for a few awful seconds that it was gonna end with the invention of democracy... and then veered right away from that idea thank fuck.

Ha, yep.

Sam: I know, let's invent democracy!
Everyone: lol, stfu fukboi.

version

It was alright, but the writing was as sloppy as ever:

- Jaime and Cersei were apparently killed by the entire building coming down yet when Tyrion finds them the roof remains intact and the only rubble happens to be in the one area in which they were stood.
- Drogon is somehow aware of the significance of the Iron Throne.
- Nobody takes issue with The North remaining an independent kingdom whilst the rest are to be ruled from King's Landing.
- Bronn is somehow seen as suitable for the position of Master of Coin.
- Bran is made king and then given a humiliating nickname.
- Tyrion is somehow left out of the maester's account of what happened despite being crucial to the entire thing.
- Brienne doesn't allow the ink to dry before shutting the book.
- The Unsullied fought in The North and are aware that the dead are no longer a threat yet are fine with Jon being exiled to the Night's Watch despite it no longer existing.
- Jon tells his siblings that they can come and see him at Castle Black then just fucks off beyond the wall.
- Bran mentions looking for Drogon, but in the meantime there's a fully-grown adult dragon just rolling around Westeros with no rider.

I still can't believe that they decided to wrap up seven seasons of build-up in six episodes. It was never going to work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It was alright, but the writing was as sloppy as ever:

- Jaime and Cersei were apparently killed by the entire building coming down yet when Tyrion finds them the roof remains intact and the only rubble happens to be in the one area in which they were stood.
- Drogon is somehow aware of the significance of the Iron Throne.
- Nobody takes issue with The North remaining an independent kingdom whilst the rest are to be ruled from King's Landing.
- Bronn is somehow seen as suitable for the position of Master of Coin.
- Bran is made king and then given a humiliating nickname.
- Tyrion is somehow left out of the maester's account of what happened despite being crucial to the entire thing.
- Brienne doesn't allow the ink to dry before shutting the book.
- The Unsullied fought in The North and are aware that the dead are no longer a threat yet are fine with Jon being exiled to the Night's Watch despite it no longer existing.
- Jon tells his siblings that they can come and see him at Castle Black then just fucks off beyond the wall.
- Bran mentions looking for Drogon, but in the meantime there's a fully-grown adult dragon just rolling around Westeros with no rider.

I still can't believe that they decided to wrap up seven seasons of build-up in six episodes. It was never going to work.
Most of that I don't really mind too much about... but I did think the same thing with the ink.
To pick a random other one to respond too - I dunno how smart dragons are supposed to be. In a lot of mythology they are very intelligent, though normally the smart ones talk. But I think they want us to believe that the dragon could somehow recognise that Jon is a Targaryen and seemingly understand that although they both love Dany very very much it is better for everyone if she is killed... and after that recognising the throne doesn't seem too much of a stretch. But to be fair the dragons didn't seem that smart previously despite D's contention that they are not beasts.
I thought they addressed that thing about the watch still existing too. Jon asked if it was still there and was told it was. I guess it's basically exile, with no lands or women etc people have been sent there for thousands of years when everyone thought the Others were a myth so why not now? Plus they probably wanna have a crack at rebuilding the wall.

version

I think taken as a whole it's still a brilliant show, but ultimately they shot themselves in the foot trying to cram what should have been two or three seasons of story into six episodes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, maybe the Others come back every thousand years or so, who knows. Also what else is behind the wall, I don't think it makes sense to totally assume there is no danger at all from that direction.