version

There isn't much flow to it these days, it just feels like random chunks of story arranged in blocks.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It reminds me of when I was writing essays at uni and I realised that I had about 300 words to do what I actually needed 2000 words to do, and it was 7am, I was going insane and I had to hand it in at midday.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another thing that bugs me is Varys - it seems like his character is constantly being re-written to change sides and there will always be some explaining away of whatever he did in the past "Oh I deliberately failed to have Dany murdered" or "I only pretended to do all that stuff that doesn't fit with the side I'm on now". Seems a bit sort of reverse-engineered.
I don't mean to complain a lot cos I really like the programme, I guess that's why I really notice the things I don't like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Eunuchs are often fickle
Fair enough, I don't know many to be honest. But the thing is, he's not fickle. They make it out that he had this one plan the whole way through and he has been following it all the way through with laser-like clarity and all the times when it seemed he was on the other side he was just pretending. Like he always knew that the Lannisters were bad for the kingdom, but he still betrayed Ned to them and kept them in power - but actually now we are supposed to believe that was all part of a long term plan to put Dany on the throne or something.

version

I've always seen him as an ends justifies the means sort, so I haven't gotten too hung up on what he's been up to. He's a pretty minor character at this point anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Obviously I'm being petty and not really focusing on the big picture. But I assume that that's what this kind of discussion is for.

version

One thing I've seen mentioned, which also annoyed me when I thought about it, was why hasn't Bran been bombarded with questions? He's seemingly omniscient at this point, yet nobody thinks to ask him about, well... anything.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I've seen mentioned, which also annoyed me when I thought about it, was why hasn't Bran been bombarded with questions? He's seemingly omniscient at this point, yet nobody thinks to ask him about, well... anything.
Yep, I had the same thought. They don't seem to play to their strengths in general, like why not get Arya to just go and kill Cersei? And why the fuck would they be bickering about Jon giving up his sovereignty to Dany when they are about to be attacked to be attacked by an enormous army of almost invincible undead killing machines.

version

And why the fuck would they be bickering about Jon giving up his sovereignty to Dany when they are about to be attacked to be attacked by an enormous army of almost invincible undead killing machines.

Yeah, that did my head in. Apparently Sansa feels that side-eyeing Dany is a higher priority than the hordes of undead that are about to swamp them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This is the problem with creating a superpowered character, innit, totally fucks up any narrative tension if you deploy them. You'll forgive me a brief Marvel comparison here but last night I watched Captain America 3 and in the big superhero royal rumble in act 2, one side has Vision (the invincible flying superman who shoots some sort of infinitely destructive laser from his eyes). I've never noticed before but he basically disappears during most of the fight. For obvious reasons.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've always seen him as an ends justifies the means sort, so I haven't gotten too hung up on what he's been up to. He's a pretty minor character at this point anyway.

Have I remembered wrong or was Varys involved in the attempted assassination of Denise Tarragon back in the first season? Did he have a later change of heart, or did he know Jorah would foil it, or what? I think he's introduced quite early on as being involved in a plot with the beardy guy from Essos about effecting a Tarragon restoration.

Other things that have bothered me:

How fucking long it's taken the Night King and his army (which presumably doesn't need food, rest or anything else) some five years to travel about 50 miles?

Why is there some massive beef between Bronn and The Hound in season 2? They're ready to kill each other for no apparent reason.

And why did the writers piss a season and a half of Jamie's redemption up against the wall by having him rape Cersei after Joffrey's death?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Have I remembered wrong or was Varys involved in the attempted assassination of Denise Tarragon back in the first season? Did he have a later change of heart, or did he know Jorah would foil it, or what
Yeah, this is what I'm on about. He definitely did (it was on here the other day) but I think later on they say that as well as been the main instigator and plotter he also deliberately made it fail cos he was always on Dany's side really.

I think he's introduced quite early on as being involved in a plot with the beardy guy from Essos about effecting a Tarragon restoration.
Yeah, he and the guy from Essos have some scheme. In the book it's not explicit who it is but you can kinda work it out, but on telly you just see 'em. That guy gave her the eggs as well didn't he? Did he know they would hatch or what?

How fucking long it's taken the Night King and his army (which presumably doesn't need food, rest or anything else) some five years to travel about 50 miles?
But isn't that cos they couldn't cross the wall? I dunno what they do all the time though, just march about making chains. To be honest the whole story when they assemble a crack team of elite special forces to go and kidnap a zombie is stupid. And they give them a dragon who destroys the wall, if they hadn't bothered doing that there wouldn't be a problem.

Why is there some massive beef between Bronn and The Hound in season 2? They're ready to kill each other for no apparent reason.
Well they are both big macho arseholes aren't they? Often I get hassle in bars just because of my powerful physique and intimidating reputation.

It's all an allegory for the impending climate change apocalypse.
Manbearpig is better though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Its been OK so far. Certainly couldve been worse.
After billions of pounds per episode and enormous spectacular mega battles that take weeks to film I'm not sure that was the response that they were hoping for. I am inclined to agree though, if only because nothing has really happened and so nothing could really go wrong in terms of plot or whatever. I think that a low key start to this series is probably not a bad idea on the whole and not really what most people were expecting I imagine. Got a feeling that all hell is gonna break loose in the next one though and that might be where some viewers might start to become disappointed.

droid

Low expectations. The 2nd episode was good, a bit clunky, but I think they may have gotten past all the really stupid stuff in the last season. All they have to do now is hit the climactic plot beats, which Martin probably laid down for them years ago.