-

woops

is not like other people
How do people feel about him? What he does is ostensibly techno, but he's really bent the template out of shape. The way he structures and arranges his tunes is quite something, there are so many little tricks in there, elements dropping in and out, the whole thing screeching to a halt only to start again and so on; the inattentive DJ's nightmare.

I like it a lot but I don't think it's anything revolutionary if you were listening to late 90s/early 0'z electronica as I'm constantly reminding the board I was, it's like a dancefloor/bass version of that aesthetic. Still, much better than most of the electronic stuff I've heard for a while.

woops

is not like other people
I mean, this'd be a record I'd consider buying and that would be the first time for (pauses to think) at least 10 years

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This seems as dull to me as most of the rest of the genre does. I keep skipping around the youtube clips looking for something more interesting to happen.

When my techno-loving friends play me some new techno thats supposedly breaking the mould, nine times out of ten to me it just sounds like techno. It reminds me of that bit in the Simpsons with the soccer match - the American commentator dully intoning ''A passes to B, B passes to A, A holds it, holds it, holds it", the Latin commentator screaming ''A passes to B! B to A! Holds it, HOLDS IT, HOLDS IT!"

woops

is not like other people
Maybe I'm just too eager to get excited about music when there isn't much to be excited about atm.

I'm with you in that case.

Corpsey again this is nothing shockingly original but that track sounds like skipping around, let it play through

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey's last response was quite rockist. there's luke's dilemma. corpsey is looking for a god in the machine, (deus ex machina as the poshos would say) we want the machine to become god.

As for bruce yeah he's got some cool ideas but I think he needs to orbit the more wonky landstrumm/subhead axis of things. it all feels a bit upmarket for a certain crowd. He can throw down fierce sets in grotty sheffield warehouses but im not sure where the media machine is taking him really.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This seems as dull to me as most of the rest of the genre does. I keep skipping around the youtube clips looking for something more interesting to happen.

When my techno-loving friends play me some new techno thats supposedly breaking the mould, nine times out of ten to me it just sounds like techno. It reminds me of that bit in the Simpsons with the soccer match - the American commentator dully intoning ''A passes to B, B passes to A, A holds it, holds it, holds it", the Latin commentator screaming ''A passes to B! B to A! Holds it, HOLDS IT, HOLDS IT!"

I actually agree with you 99% of so called groundbreaking techno is anything but... but what you say about techno could also apply to rnb pop in its sonics. this is what I mean by rockism, it's a default to the intelligentsia of songful depth, of emotions more traditionally associated with the 20th century, of authenticity. I'm not really sure what can be authentic in the 21st century. which is why i don't get the journalistic/music head discourse of the sexiness of autotune, I appreciate it sonically but i really think most people are not using it to its fullist potential. yeah i get its sexy, but like, if sex and selfies are the opium of authenticity then consider me to have gone cold Turkey. now you can say oh but surely you need some kind of authenticitty? maybe but rejecting the authentic is the first step to having any hope in the future.

there is loads of clone detroit techno out there, derek carr is an example, but there's a reason why it's essentially dad techno. the first wave detroit got big because of house, it was only really around 1991-1992 that we can say this is definitely 'detroit techno' and not an abstract house.

That being said I don't buy the german narritive that they had their own techno happening at the same time as detroit, yes if by techno you mean EBM then sure, but that mutated into trance anyway. otherwise the berlin techno fetishism seems quite a bit antiblack...

Not sure what most of this has to do with bruce if only tangentially.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Wait, am I supposed to be listening to these sets in relation to Bruce or a wider point about techno and the 'nuum?

I meant for corpse mainly. he is basically saying it all sounds the same. well yeah on the surface it does, but if he puts these sets on whilst he's functioning the layers and relational machine language that techno forces you to listen for might make more sense.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Ah, fair enough. He was also just skipping through tunes on YouTube which doesn't help with stuff like Bruce, you don't really notice what he's doing if you don't let it roll out for a bit.

frankly i have no idea how people can listen to dance music on youtube. even a lot of the best jungle has to be listened to in a mix. makes v little sense otherwise.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
conversely i find a lot of ambient, concrete etc is ridiculously painful to listen in mixes in the hands of most djs (not you droid, obviously) I mean the electronica types who just do a 5 second fade out. might as well listen to an album in that case.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Techno is for producers who haven't got any ideas - it allows them to stretch out their no idea to over 14 minutes sometimes. :cool:

n.b. Just said this to provoke thirdform really...

Thirdform thanks for all the drop box links, though I can't listen to any of them at work so dunno when I'll get round to them.

Last edited: