version

Anyone been keeping up with this stuff over the years? I managed to snag their pressing of Parmegiani's De Natura Sonorum a while back, but haven't picked up any of the others yet. I think it's all available digitally too, or at least a lot of it is.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Yep, got some of this digitally. Not got the De Natura Sonorum which is killer.

I think Peter said that they had met with the GRM guys and basically sold it to them as a vinyl label because they knew there would be demand. I think GRM were sceptical and/or were clueless about how to do it themselves.

I think it's v cool myself but agree that CD is better for this stuff.

blissblogger

i love the original, released-at-the-time vinyl with electronic and musique concrete

but for some reason the vinyl-reissues of stuff like this (or anything really) rub me the wrong way

they don't sound as good as the vintage vinyl, that's part of it

but also there's something about this going-opposite-direction-of-History revival of vinyl (or 'vinyls', yeuccch), it feels like a fad, motivated by something other than the music itself or "good sound"

i always suspect people are just using the download codes when it comes to actually listening

there's an irony that CDs have probably never sounded better, just at the point of their being obsolesced.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I think that's all true but I'd still be delighted if a kind benefactor bought it all for me...

The Ina-GRM site has no mention of CDs or vinyl at all that I could see. Now mainly flogging software...

john eden

male pale and stale
Same with Blue Note - absolute classics with amazing remastering available on CD for 4 quid a FOPP.

or you can buy "Karma" by Pharoah Sanders on LP for £25 and the main track is chopped in half over two sides!

version

That Parmegiani LP was actually the record that made me realise how good vinyl could sound, it was like switching from S to HD. I was suddenly exposed to a flood of new colours.

blissblogger

it's certainly cool that they are making this stuff available and probably finding for it a new audience - regardless of format question ( i certainly wouldn't turn down a surprise gift of the entire lot on vinyl that's for sure)

also some of the stuff was never available, or barely available - like the jaap vink

and if you don't want to go the vinyl route you can buy them as high-res downloads

so hats off to Mego

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
vinyl sounds like shit compared to a good quality flac. but most people are averse to getting their music in flac, which i can understand somewhat, if im checkin an album i'd op for 320 first.

really the worst is tapes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
people only like vinyl when it has some audible surface noise. a first or second play vinyl just don't sound right.