Thread: Media Bias

Default Media Bias

Did anyone catch the piece in the New Statesman discussing the media's influence on the far-right? I dunno how much truth there is to it, but it makes sense to me and certainly rings true from what I've seen since 2016. There's definitely been a ramping up of rhetoric across the usual suspects, The Mail, Telegraph, Sun, Express and so on have been foaming at the mouth to an absurd degree for a couple of years now.

--------------------------------

A partisan media is fuelling far-right extremism — we need to wake up | The press does not just reflect the attitudes of its readers, it creates and shapes them. - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...m-we-need-wake

A particularly interesting and powerful recent study by two economists looked at US cable channels, which remain the main source of news on political campaigns, even in the digital age. They isolate viewers who view these channels simply because of their place in the channel ranking, rather than because of their political preferences, in order to look at how influential the channel was.

They found that the existence of Fox News boosted the Republican vote share in 2000 by about 0.5 per cent, which fits with another study that used a different method to isolate the influence of Fox. However, the growing viewership and increasingly right-wing stance of Fox swelled its impact on the Republican vote share in 2008 to a huge 6 per cent, a far greater influence than that of any other channel.

An equally revealing finding is that the political stance of Fox is far to the right of where it should be to maximise viewers. In other words, Fox is broadcasting material that maximises its ability to shift its audience to the right, rather than to maximise its profits.

-----------------------------------------------

... this study found that when Murdoch’s Sun switched support to Labour, it increased the party’s vote in 1997 by 2 per cent. That was not enough to influence the result, but when the Sun switched back to the Conservatives in 2010, it had a similar impact in the opposite direction, which was enough to influence that result. Newspapers influence attitudes towards austerity, and the best predictor of attitudes on immigration is newspaper readership.

Whether the rise of far-right parties and groups is an unintended consequence is less clear, particularly when the BBC chooses to broadcast an interview with a far-right leader straight after the murder of 50 people in New Zealand. There is academic evidence that media coverage of far-right groups such as Ukip increases support for them and, as I have already noted, this is partly why Trump became the Republican presidential candidate.

But the main reason the partisan media now use such language is to “fire up the base”, who in turn will influence politicians in the way media owners want. This route of influence is well-established in the US, which is why David Frum, a former speechwriter to George W. Bush, says “Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us. And now we’re discovering we work for Fox.” We are now seeing it happen over Brexit, as Conservative MPs who oppose a no-deal Brexit are targeted for deselection and would-be leaders play to a base which is heavily influenced by the partisan press it reads.

... this study found that when Murdoch’s Sun switched support to Labour, it increased the party’s vote in 1997 by 2 per cent. That was not enough to influence the result, but when the Sun switched back to the Conservatives in 2010, it had a similar impact in the opposite direction, which was enough to influence that result.
    which leads one to believe that lots of people have no core convictions, otherwise how could they swing to a polar opposite position and voting record in short time? tribalism seems to be the order of the day, so whatever side the tribe (aka, Murdoch's media outlets) is on is good enough for readers/viewers.

Yeah, the thing is "the tribe" seems to keep shifting to the right.

Edit: wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    which leads one to believe that lots of people have no core convictions, otherwise how could they swing to a polar opposite position and voting record in short time? tribalism seems to be the order of the day, so whatever side the tribe (aka, Murdoch's media outlets) is on is good enough for readers/viewers.
    A colleague of mine told me he's voted Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Green and UKIP. And this was an intelligent guy, well educated and qualified, doing a highly technical job.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    an intelligent guy
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    ?
    Well, seemingly, at any rate. Not very politically clued up, clearly.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Anyone else concerned about what's happening behind the scenes at the BBC?

They seem happy to give people on the right carte blanche to say more or less whatever they want whilst insisting on 'balance' when it comes to things like climate change, they're regularly caught allowing Tory and UKIP plants into the Question Time audience, Kuenssberg was found to have broken impartiality and accuracy guidelines in her reporting on Corbyn and there are rumours that at least one editor is cosy with Farage and Murdoch.