sadmanbarty

it's ironic that james brown- the godfather of soul- pioneered the musical techniques that would go on to make soulfulness untenable in the modern age.

sadmanbarty

music is increasingly pivoting towards manipulating stimuli for physiological rather than overtly emotional impact. skrillex, the rap trio who shan't be named, etc. are all physiological experiences/programming far more than they are emoting.
y

it's ironic that james brown- the godfather of soul- pioneered the musical techniques that would go on to make soulfulness untenable in the modern age.

even in the lyrical content:

"hit me"

"get down"

"sex machine"

sadmanbarty

music is increasingly pivoting towards manipulating stimuli for physiological rather than overtly emotional impact. skrillex, the rap trio who shan't be named, etc. are all physiological experiences/programming far more than they are emoting.
y

as we're increasingly detached from physical experience (dematerialisation) music's emulating physical sensation to compensate.

Last edited:

luka

I don't think I'm really disagreeing with you patty. Your examples (a 200 year old man from the heyday of spiritual jazz. Morrocans. Indians.) don't contradict what I'm arguing, they support it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
21st century soul

When the surface is destroyed by a thousand jittery thrums, the yearning not eliminated but spectralised

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
rave can be a spiritual experience, or a gnostic experience. especially when it's the right kind of free party techno or manic hardcore/jungle. but it's anything but sincerely religious. you go back home and all those smiles mean fuck all, oh, of course people selectively try and bring them into the present by misremembering what really went on, but it's the same with seeing pharoah in the 2010s. it's a staged gnosis.

It's closer to carying out the rudiments of a ritual as opposed to totally breaking through. but not all magic or alchemy is religious. in fact most of it isn't, it's the science of the mind.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
but it's the same with seeing pharoah in the 2010s. it's a staged gnosis.

It's closer to carying out the rudiments of a ritual as opposed to totally breaking through. but not all magic or alchemy is religious. in fact most of it isn't, it's the science of the mind.

Strong disagree. Much like when tripping it's up to you how you deal with the situation. Do you have the mental strength to push out those feelings of awareness and let yourself go? I'd imagine London is one of the hardest cities to allow this to happen. Yet I still managed. Mind power.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Strong disagree. Much like when tripping it's up to you how you deal with the situation. Do you have the mental strength to push out those feelings of awareness and let yourself go? I'd imagine London is one of the hardest cities to allow this to happen. Yet I still managed. Mind power.

that's not religion though is it? Did pharoah really allow you to achieve a cosmological guide map for your life? Did he permit for you to develop an ethical compass? I highly doubt it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I don't think I'm really disagreeing with you patty. Your examples (a 200 year old man from the heyday of spiritual jazz. Morrocans. Indians.) don't contradict what I'm arguing, they support it.

Yeah it was just because you said it's unthinkable nowadays. When there are a few chinks of guiding light poking through here and there. Rarer and rarer they become, however. And yeah, they're directly connected to 'then'

But I can't help but think all it takes is a mental tweaking for us to be able to tap back in. Might take rethinking a lot of the current status quo. Many things we hold dear might need looking at from a fresh perspective. Not discarded. Just better assessed.

I have a low sense of self due to some heavy psych sessions (and no doubt mental illness) and I think that helps with my ability to adapt to ways of thinking like water in a bowl and then a cup.

luka

I think music can guide you into regions you wouldn't necessarily find without it. Can act as psychopomp in that regard.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also on the bad trip thing. well that's that but i've also gone psychotic on drugs. and actually the experience itself was quite pleasant. i never thought i was having a bad trip. it's only when i found myself in a hospital bedroom with a weeks worth of missing memories that i was like wtf happened?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
that's not religion though is it? Did pharoah really allow you to achieve a cosmological guide map for your life? Did he permit for you to develop an ethical compass? I highly doubt it.

You're comparing the work of one man to scriptures and thought which took millenia to develop. But yes, when listening to him, especially live, my heart opened a bit more and compassion for my fellow man expanded. Do you not also feel that when listening to the creator has a masterplan?

luka

I don't think there's ever any going back. The rennasaince looked to clasical pagan civilization but it didn't replicate it. You can only ever move forward into time. Beyond soul. It's over.