thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was pondering some of what was said in this thread recently and wondering if the fact of where I grew up made it somehow more possible for me to appreciate Mozart than someone who grew up in an urban hellscape. Not just because of my class (as Luka says, I'm on the lower end of middle class, and a lot of people who grew up in London, say, would be as or more well off than I was), but because of the landscape. Open fields, gently rolling hills, clear blue skies, stars at night - some might say a banal landscape, certainly not a hive of cultural activity, but a place where a sort of pre-modern romanticism can still flourish. And what was said in this thread (can't remember by who) - Mozart's music, or any pre-modernist classical music, is about harmony, unbroken melodies, structure, cycles. A slower pace of life. Perhaps I'm able to believe in peacefulness and serenity more than somebody who rarely saw an unimpeded horizon growing up, somebody surrounded by constant advertising, traffic, litter, homelessness, crime, etc.

Is 'soul' antipathetic to urbanity, in particular? (And has the internet made city-dwellers of us all?)

Yes and yes. Turkish classical music could never go fully atonal for instance because of the way it doesn't use counterpointt and its compositional structure involving more quartertonal and smaller steps. It's a heavily monophonic melodic music. yet its almost non-existent now and any attempt to revive it would be utterly quixotic. I also think Hindustani classical is a bigger thing in the west than it is in the streets of Delhi or Calcutta.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
patty can sneer all he likes but none of my south asian mates are into Shivkumar Sharma or Ali Akbar Khan really. You can't say they are brainwashed by the majors though. I mean that's only ever a half truth isn't it.

luka

Yeah the brainwashing thing is interesting, and tricky. As you say, a half truth at best.

CrowleyHead

The internet and id-pol has made thinking about social positioning too drastically vicious. It's a game of 5D chess where you look at your roles in society based on birth and access that were thrust upon you before you could have conscious thoughts about the world beyond basic desire to meet needs. Class, Career, Race, Gender, Sexuality, Wealth, so-on-and-such forth. It happens even here where we have to remember to be mindful of Web or third, who clearly take themselves more seriously than me or Barty. Me and Barty aren't on similar class lines I'm guessing (which is even further thrown askew b/c as well class doesn't have the same connotations in the US as the UK. I can't tell you how many people in this country have barely pennies to scrape together and they'll insist that they're in The Middle Class) but! we share an irreverence of the self that Corpsey lacks, yet third and Web also lack and when we gesture to that can often fall flat.

Corpse is really self-conscious that he got access to the right books, to moments of luxury, to Difference, and now he's fixated on what fuels those desires and what makes him the way he is. Is he good or bad for doing so? And that's a healthy question to ask, but the danger is making it a block. Ultimately the reality is there are more people who are unconscious of that or even consciously Weaponize those things. "Maybe if you fucking plebs listened to Real Music like Mozart once in a while"

But ofc. then you study classical music and you realize Baroque is all math wank shit, dentist music muso nonsense. You realize that Beethoven is basically the goonish 3 chord rock of his day, a la The Ramones or smth. Granted maybe this is me and I strive for being an Objective Hater as much as I do have my interests and passions. I admittedly listen to and enjoy Carly Rae Jepsen from time to time and also have numerous criticisms as her that are not Patty's where 'soul' comes into the field because it's an affectation and a label and a pose due to the nature of a lot of this being pop music no matter how far away we try to go with it. It's like Jay-Z telling Kanye West that his beats were 'so soulful' or whatever... fucking nonsense, but you get what he Meant. You understand the signifiers of soul he's pushing out there for people to receive.

luka

"God chose the land of Karbala as a safe and blessed sanctuary, twenty-four thousand years before He created the land of the Ka'bah and chose it as a sanctuary. Verily it [Karbala] will shine among the gardens of Paradise, like a shining star shines among the stars for the people of Earth."[55]

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Re: the funk supplanting soul thing - I think Prince was exemplary of this, and perhaps explains why I've never felt able to really connect with his music, as much as I admire and enjoy some of it. The emotion in his songs feels like a parody of emotion, somehow ironised. I guess the same was true of Michael Jackson later on, but in his earlier music ('Rock with You' e.g.) there felt like something guileless, naive and heartfelt about his music...

luka

That's really kind of you to ask Luke, to be honest I've got butterflies in my stomach at the thought of it. I'd absolutely love too. What an honour. I'm nervous as all hell but I can hardly turn you down. Name the place and I'll be there just as soon as I can!

luka

Don't make such a big thing of it mate, it's just a few lagers. Low key, nothing major riding on it, but thanks for saying yes, I'll see you in a bit. Don't worry about getting dressed up. Just come in your work clothes, no big deal.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You fell out with a friend over their writing style?

Yes cos they were in another country and whenever they wrote they couldn't help but to adopt the tone of talking down to people always. I don't think they realised it. which ties into Crowley's point above. they were probably even more conscious of their class positionality than any of us on this bord but they were so irreverent, (whilst feigning compassion) as white people tend to be, that this consciousness didn't serve as a mechanism of improvement but an actual block.

luka

Oh gosh, these old rags? I couldn't possibly. I'll have to rush into Zara and pick something up. Nothing too expensive but I do want to look smart. It is a special occasion no matter how much you try and play it down.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Your whole communism as aesthetic perimeters thing is just a disguised form of this

It's not just aesthetic though is it? I'm coming for yer justin beiber mates, i told you last night. no gak = no shamanism from moi.

I make no secret of being for violent revolution. blood will be spilt. Just like it is not a shame for any man to confess his most kinky fantasies in public and in his writing, no communist should be afraid to admit that they have any tolerance for the arbitrary clap trap known as resolving questions of a tactical nature through debate. If we apply the wrong tactics (which we will do many times) we have objectively and scientifically erred.

Last edited:

luka

Well so long as you feel comfortable. No harm in buying yourself a nice new shirt and some shiny chinos. You can get some good deals in Zara. The stuff doesn't last long but it looks decent enough when you first buy it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oi talk to me you dirty old rotter you throw a bomb in our midst and then remain conspicuously silent this is like the stabbed in the back 1918 german myth again. the secret elite concealing their perverting marxism under the guise of anti-marxism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Your whole communism as aesthetic perimeters thing is just a disguised form of this

Alright, I'll fucking bight because you've got me in a mood now. I actually have legitimate reasons for self-loathing, at least far more legitimate ones than our lawyer. Had I had vision and been able bodied I'd probably driving around london with my mates, chatting up girls, getting the back of my hands tattooed, holding down a good job or maybe even being your stereotypical entrepreneur and probably would have never even fucking heard of Omni Bloody Trio. If this is some kind of middle class superiority of taste, then, yeah, so what? It's not as if people ever came over to ours and said this shit has gotta stop third has to be given chances to develop his life without spiralling into drug and alcohol addiction. And you know what really gets to me? The fact that hardly anyone in our community wants to acknowledge these basic truisms, instead whenever I meet with anyone from the community it's all some superficial clap trap about me being intellectual. Because the unvarnished blind man is unforgiveable for them *in this city and this country.* We live in a right wing society. The right is not against hypocrisy so long as that hypocrisy does not upset the moral order.

So now, sit the fuck down and stop trying to play the role of the dissensus control freak.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey is like oh chief keef violence and sexism and im like uh so fucking what? Certain members of my extended family shot each other to death in a bloodfeud. like, the self-loathing is hardly fucking comparable is it?

I should probably delete all of this but I'm so ready to punch your poxy shit eating face to a pulp. I mean you are a mate but I told you, some things are off limits in public.

Last edited:

Leo

an old pair trainers is ok, provided they're a hip vintage style and in decent condition.