Leo

Maybe you think, like a lot o people (craner, leo, eden etc) that we're not half as smart as we think we are.

on the contrary, Luka. your posts have often times opened my eyes and occasionally dropped my jaw, seriously. I just tune out some threads and conversation that I don't find particularly interesting.

sadmanbarty

the characteristic barty move is to try and undermine thirds aesthetics/politics/identity (dungeons and dragons. Middle class. Robocock. Student) .

third and, sadly, luke seem to have got the impression that I’m disingenuous, passive aggressive and do lots of cryptic things to upset or provoke you third. it’d be nice if people could take the things i say a bit more at face value instead of trying to read maliciousness into them. for example i thought what i wrote earlier was innocuous, but it elicited an incredibly severe reaction (which i'd much rather be deleted by the way).

to clear these things up:

1) "Dungeons and dragons": in the post where i wrote this i referred to my own taste in music as “thomas cook minstrel show”, so any ribbing i gave you in this context was met with self-deprication on my part. i called a poem corpsey liked a "hunk of shit”, i said terrible things about roc marciano and headie one (both favourites of trilliam), called bowie (who lots of posters like) “timmy mallet for pretentious people”, said that joni mitchell’s blue was awful, etc. i trash things lots of different poster admire and, as far as i know, they don’t take it personally. i’m not solely focussed on attacking your taste.

2) “middle class”: as far as i can remember i only bring it up to defend corpse. he’ll often write something and you’ll call him bourgeois . i really like having corpse around and don’t want him to feel like he’ll get a bollocking for everything he says so i defend him. not just against you. when luke criticised him on the framework thread i defended corpse. when crowl attacked him on the r kelly thread i did the same. when blissblog wasn’t wholly positive about nomos’ book i took the piss there too. so again third it’s nothing personal, i do the exact same to other posters.

3) “Robocock": I remember third enjoying this when I wrote it and it actually being one of our first jokes we had together. I didn’t know it was perceived as a bad thing. i use it endearingly

4) “student”: i may well have said this, but don’t remember doing so.

hopefully this shows i’m not “trying to undermine” you third. my posts aren’t subtle insults or evil codes to decipher. they’re just normal posts like anyone else’s. i’m not some evil genius coming up with word algebra to have a pop at you. i’m a bloke who likes dancehall and doesn’t like techno, that shouldn’t be a problem in the slightest.

i do lots to make you happy third. islamic in-jokes, saying you’re amazing all the time, chatting with you, etc. i don’t know where anyone’s got the impression i’m at all antagonistic towards you.

can we finally put the tom and jerry stuff to bed now? if you read a post and think i’m having a dig try to assume i'm not and if you can’t dm me.

hope this all makes sense and we can just have some fun.

apologies to the rest of dissensus.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm supportive of corpse as the next man but there is a game to try and artificially electrify the bord so he becomes less passive. I got nothing against his passivity but I'm not picking up on corpsey because he's middle class, I'm talking about the modes he intellectually defaults to. Luke doesn't for instance. it's like, let corpsey become active in his own time.

To me the contradiction i tend to feel with corpse is someone who got a bit too far with the lads with little immersion and hence to cover for this with safehouses. which is fine, it's a very very harmless and endearing contradiction (I'm sure many of us outsiders feel it as well) but at the same time you're saying to him get down with the lads again. that's not really how it works though. you have to bring him in, I can't expected to be mrs. chatterly now. Not that I've read D.H Lawrence or anything...

if you think i should have said this in pm then I'll continue it there in the afternoon later but for now I'm posting it publically here.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
like be absolutely fair here, if I made the hypothetical contention (and for the record i don't believe this) but if I said timbaland was nothing compared to DJ Premier and RZA you'd rightly criticise my taste in hip hop of being middle class.

That's all I'm doing with corpse, with some gentil ribbing about him being a minor aristocrat. but I will refrain from the aristo jokes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway, im gonna put capital xtra on, much to the consternation of patty. actually ii think pop music is the best functional music to study to, so under capitalism i acknowledge that my subversion is the only valid subversion.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Haha I love the way I've been painted as this militant soul evangelist hippy. I don't even listen to motown. Stax had more bite. I also don't need anyone to agree with me. And re: the very first post in the thread, I don't think it's the ultimate yardstick to judge anything by. It's really just a personal thing for my own existence. It's my escape from the dystopia.

Keep thinking about the topic though. House music for me is the truest continuation of 'soul music.' a living, breathing organism that at its peaks directly hits the same spots as Curtis or whoever. Detroit is probably the main city which manages to keep it realer than any others. Unfiltered. Sweet n low or dark n trippy. Doesn't matter. They kept their integrity long after most other places. And they manage to still innovate. Not many places like that left. Maurice fulton is another example. Twisted at times, beautiful, others. So mich respect for him. He created a world. Dj sprinkles, outspoken, deconstructed dance floors of the only kind I care to pay attention to. Vision, deeeep. Its still out there if you want it. Fuck unity. Less people taking up floorspace the better. Danced to Joey Anderson with about 18 other people a few weeks ago. Opening weekend of a club. Couldn't believe how empty it was. He still played a blinder. Proper NJ 90s soulful vibes with a few low key Chicago bits in there like Virgo. It's still out there if you look.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

The voice on "Can You Feel It", now twisted into a Wagnerian Nightmare.

"IT WAS SO DECREED BY JACK, THAT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL IT, YOU SHALL NOT BREATHE."

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I'm essentially saying each to their own and you're twisting into tyranny. Cool. Someone put a spell on this thread. That's the only way to explain the last few pages

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm essentially saying each to their own and you're twisting into tyranny. Cool. Someone put a spell on this thread. That's the only way to explain the last few pages

Chicago made some pretty tyrannical acid though, it just possesses you and takes over your body. like come on, we all love james rabid jack martin, but he is a tyrant.

luka

Should of joined me for a pint Barty. You're feeling misunderstood. It's very easy to fall out of phase on the Internet, as this thread proves. Everyone's feeling victimised and typecast. Patty, corpse, you, third.

luka

I've been feeling like I can't get anything going for absolutely ages myself. Can't find any answers.

luka

Part of the difficulty is that we won. We were a rebel faction, a guerilla uprising, but we won. And now we are in charge, supreme leaders, tyrant overlords, and as a result the rules are different. An enlightened despot has a whole different range of duties, responsibilities and freedoms than a revolutionary.

It's not easy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Should of joined me for a pint Barty. You're feeling misunderstood. It's very easy to fall out of phase on the Internet, as this thread proves. Everyone's feeling victimised and typecast. Patty, corpse, you, third.

Didn't you spike his pint last time? you said he got drunk on two pints of lager. maybe this is the reason for his trepidation Lucius.

CrowleyHead

I'M TEASING!

It's also not a twist to see how the dictation of what works for someone doesn't work for other people. All utopias forged are inevitably exclusionary, but they're an ideal to SOMEONE so it doesn't make them PURE EVIL or whatever.

It's part of the reason personally I have a distaste with say, libertarianism. I inherently believe you have to be out there and mingling, spreading, also gaining perspective from others. Life as gilded palaces of your own taste is ultimately v. isolating and paralyzing. Third can attest to this in his attempts to mingle off here even.

luka

"The cultivation of a fine sensibility, the domain of nervous neo-romantics, is as patently coarse and unfeeling, even to its protagonists, as is Rilke's line 'For poverty's a great glow from within...'"

More from this Adorno book

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What does that mean mate?

I don't see what's coarse and unfeeling about either thing, at least not "patently".*

*I don't even UNDERSTAND the Rilke line.