Logos, Imperial Flood.

version

I dunno how interested luka and barty in particular will be in the music itself, but Logos has a new album out and he's just done an interview which touches on a bunch of the stuff we've been discussing here, e.g. the 'nuum, environmental collapse, Lovecraft and k-punk.

Last edited:

version

I’ve got one more question, and it’s about Mark Fisher. Were his ideas important for you during the time that you were writing Imperial Flood? And especially in relation to what you were just saying about Different Circles, does that relate to Mark’s conception of “popular modernism,” of new forms that are genuinely new, rather than simply the haunted old? What effects have his thinking had on this album, if any?

It’s really difficult for me to answer that question. In terms of the content and themes of the album, Imperial Flood is probably more influenced by a New Materialist way of thinking. Particularly when we connect back to talking about the Anthropocene, or the decentring of and moving away from anthropomorphic agency, towards objects, for example. I read K-Punk a lot when he was writing it — The Weird and the Eerie is brilliant.

I think drum & bass — Goldie, Metalheadz, Ed Rush & Optical, Jonny L, Digital, Photek — there was a certain retro-futuristic aspect to their aesthetic, particularly Goldie’s sample choices, but that was a real, genuine form of popular modernism, I believe. And that’s what everyone should be chasing. But it’s partly time and place, partly the scene you inhabit, partly the audience’s capacity and interest. And it’s grime as well, and then moving on, it’s grime and dubstep in its early phase — they were genuine popular modernisms in music in this country. And the situation at the moment is that there’s amazing music being made, but it doesn’t feel like it — and I include myself in this — am I really striking out into new ground in the same ways that they were? Probably not, because those were exceptional moments in time: when drum & bass was coming up or when Wiley was coming up.

But it’s also about the lens with which you look at things, so there’ll be things happening now that aren’t being talked about in the mainstream media, and not even in the dance music media, which will be shocking us in three years time. And that’ll be brilliant. All you can do is plow your own furrow.

droid

Logos is a lovely guy. Used to hang out with him over on Subvert Central (also the womb of Ben UFO and others). I think he posted here for a while too.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Logos is a lovely guy. Used to hang out with him over on Subvert Central (also the womb of Ben UFO and others).

wave.gif