Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "yearning for the algorithmic"

Yeah youre right about resolution, its just where it goes back to where it started really. this guy explains polyrhythms really nicely in terms of the tension and release of the phasing

Yeah you defo don't need a modular, but to have the control over all the parameters when playing live makes it very interesting, and steevios music is great, not just an intellectual exercise but amazing to dance to. Thers plenty of software environments where this kind of thing can be reproduced and done in different ways. But the principles are similar I'd imagine, if not more complex in max msp, reaktor, etc where the only limit is computer power.

There are some great software sequencers that can give beautiful evolving complex musical sequences, Spiral in reaktors is my fave. Adlais is another, worth looking into if anyone makes tunes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jorge For This Useful Post:

Very much into rescuing algorave from the nerds. My current thing is using VCV rack (https://vcvrack.com/) to control hardware (via some puredata magic), it's virtual eurorack but has plenty of stuff that doesn't exist in hardware form (e.g. hour/day/month/year-long LFOs). Basically plugging sequencers into sequencers and letting them modulate eachother for hours on end.

Not sure if I'm comfortable sharing my real name/face/tits on here, but here's my live set: https://www.facebook.com/mark.noiseb...7925610546729/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    as far as "imperfections" and variations sounding better than "perfection" (or at least are compelling in their own right), analog vs digital is another classic one...
    The analogue/digital thing is a weird one as I really like the sound of both.

... raises the question of whether or not there's a scale of whatever this is called. 80s pop, gabber, etc. at one end and ??? at the other. or maybe it's hard to quantify, since the ways 'yearning' expresses itself are so different across genres.
    Jazz would be at the other end, I guess.

a lot of interesting ideas raised about what this can look like formally: polyrhythms, changes in phrasing, pitch, resonance, timbre and volume can all achieve this effect (I guess sequencing is covered in all that?) and then also the 'scale' idea.

the actual feelings it opens up, though, are pretty mysterious and hard to articulate. I don't think it's as simple and dry as "variation is mentally stimulating" at the very least--especially in the context of groove.

It's all on the one as James brown said. Whatever happens in between only leads back to that.
    The Chomp

^ interesting way of looking at it: anything goes as long as there's an anchor. sort of raises the question of what the formal "limits" are for this stuff. I'd say it's just perception-based. you can get away with anything as long as it doesn't break the groove (which goes back to the idea of stretching.) there are no "must" conditions in terms of form.

also I don't mean to make this into more of a muso thing than it really is. it can be accomplished (often best) with really simple gestures, just as long it achieves the not-quite-right / funk quality. for example:

in the second half the kick comes in slightly too early once every loop. (can't be bothered to phrase that in more precise terms.) its just one variation repeated over and over, but because you're already used to the regular 4-on-floor pulse from the first half, it always feels a bit 'off' in a good way.

I have a theory that humans need chaos, it nourishes are chaotic brains. Thats why nature makes us happy its pure chaos, things that are impossible to model or replicate from the same starting point.. we are aware of the minute subconsciously, complexity fires more neurons and creates a deeper experience. Things can still be minimal and seemingly highly structured but contain large amounts of chaos.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

anything goes as long as there's an anchor. sort of raises the question of what the formal "limits" are for this stuff. I'd say it's just perception-based. you can get away with anything as long as it doesn't break the groove (which goes back to the idea of stretching.) there are no "must" conditions in terms of form.
    I think the question of how / where you hit limits to this effect is pretty interesting, the “balancing act” aspect to it. how far you can take the awkwardness / non-fixedness without losing the groove; getting to a point where it might be interesting in a detached, observational sense but doesn’t have the same ‘stretching’ visceral impact.

do people who are less sensitive to groove hit a perceptual limit sooner than people who are more into dance music? hence Greil Marcus’ point about how “country time” sounds clumsy to the uninitiated, and also how uninitiated audiences who lack the right background might not know what to make of nuum music.

or, from the opposite side of things, is the limit hit when nerds who don’t understand dance music don't recognize that they’re going too far and losing the groove in all the complexity? hence algorave, IDM, etc.

or is it just a matter of what context you're hearing the music in? maybe practically anything with a steady tempo and 'events' can be dance music if you hear it the right way
    Last edited by mvuent; 18-04-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassbeyondreason View Post
    Very much into rescuing algorave from the nerds.
    if its possible to articulate I’d be curious what do you think they’re doing "wrong" (for lack of a better word) that you get right (or try to) in your stuff?
    Last edited by mvuent; 18-04-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    Things can still be minimal and seemingly highly structured but contain large amounts of chaos.
    v interesting theory. would be interested in hearing more about this part in particular. I can see how things that seem chaotic could be more ordered than they appear, but this is a bit more difficult for me to think of.
    Last edited by mvuent; 18-04-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    The analogue/digital thing is a weird one as I really like the sound of both.
    do you agree that each has different properties / strengths? if so any favorite examples of either? definitely agree with the link I posted that analogue tends to richer / more substantial / just better, but the sheer control offered by digital gives it the edge in terms of possibilities left to unlock. (but I've only ever used shitty softsynths so what do I know lol.)

do you agree that each has different properties / strengths? if so any favorite examples of either?
    I do, but I don't necessarily think one's superior to the other. It's more a case of what I'm into at the time, although I probably lean toward analogue more often.

Analogue

Digital

17. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

if its possible to articulate I’d be curious what do you think they’re doing "wrong" (for lack of a better word) that you get right (or try to) in your stuff?
    Too much algo not enough rave, maybe?

how does one bring more rave into their music?