How do listen to music?

Client Eastwood

how do you get the music from the source to your ears? speakers, headphones, earphones, pc speakers, clubs etc?

just curious, for me it's mostly headphones via pc or mp3 player. i have ripped all my cds but non of my vinyl. kind of miss having a hifi set up with floor standing speakers but it is not feasible atm.

title should have been How do you listen to music?

Last edited:

luka

I don't like headphones but I don't like intruding on my neighbour and her little daughter either really specially cos its either weirdo music or stabbing music. I dread to think what she makes of it all. Its hard living so close to other people. Really weird kind of impersonal intimacy.

luka

I got to admit I quite like it when they're not English. I feel freer less weirded out. This one's English.

Leo

all three: proper home stereo with floor speakers, then laptop sometimes (got a new MacBook Pro last summer and the built-in speakers are surprisingly good, although have a set of small computer speakers that I plug in) and earbud headphones for walking around outside. pretty different listening experience with each. also think decades of headphones and live music/clubs given me a mild case of tinnitus, definitely hear a bit of ringing in a silent room.

version

... and earbud headphones for walking around outside.

I haven't listened to music outside like that in years. I can't remember what prompted it, but at some point I decided I just wanted to hear what was around me and never looked back. I think I was also wary of constantly turning up the volume to compensate for the background noise and how much damage I might be doing to my hearing.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
gabba and industrial techno on speakers, grime mostly in headphones, jungle on speakers, rnb always in headphones, turkish folk always in headphones, some native tongues hip hop on speakers. crunk generally in headphones. free jazz preferably on speakers but my mum hates it.

I just can't bring myself to play anything emotionally intimate (even if its plastic-y) on speakers. some gay disco is fantastic blasted loud though, just not straight rnb because it's too sensual and not pumping enough.

I'm repressed lol.

Oh, and foobar 2000 into a DAC/amp. pretty shite creative speakers that I picked up for my low sealing room in leeds though. what i like about foobar is I can pitch up slow music.

Client Eastwood

I haven't listened to music outside like that in years. I can't remember what prompted it, but at some point I decided I just wanted to hear what was around me and never looked back. I think I was also wary of constantly turning up the volume to compensate for the background noise and how much damage I might be doing to my hearing.

Likewise, hardly ever listen to headphones when I am out and about for the same reason, and i hate the inner ear ones which are probably the best for a city environment. i try to listen to environmental noise when my endless internal mind chatter lets me.

Client Eastwood

I miss the physicality of the floorstanders I have. but I can hear more detail and soundscape in headphones, something I may have missed on speakers. having said that, the headphones i have used for ages are the senn hd650, they're like overhead speakers.

firefinga

Almost exclusively in my car these days. I have a pretty good sounding Sony mp3 player too, which I - very rarely these days - use at well. Sad thing is, I have a pretty decent hifi set up which I haven't used in years out of sheer laziness (I guess).

Leo

I get the whole not using headphones outside anymore thing. living in an apartment, it's the only opportunity I have to play things loud, which really offers a different experience than anything I could do at home.

Numbers

Although I have quite nice speakers and good headphones, I listen to music almost exclusively on Apple's earpods. They're the only ones not giving me audio fatigue after an hour or so.