Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Moscow Lightwork.

What even are the success measures with drill? Is it just YouTube plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    It's never occurred to me before (and it's obvious) that grime and garage MCs developed their style for live performance, whereas drillers main stage is youtube, hence less need for histrionics, funny accents, shouting.
    that's a bit like how the invention of the microphone allowed for crooning - more intimate style of singing - a break with early musical theater where you had to project to the back of the hall, and popular song's vocal styling was like a lowbrow version of opera - then you started to get the Bing Crosbys and Sinatra with a more relaxed vocal presence, less stagey

a lot of pop music today works on the same thing of whispery breathy voices e.g. Billie Eilish - the conjuring of incredible intimacy, using vocal production so the soft voice is much bigger in the mix - in a live setting hard to do, would be drowned out by the music

a lot of drillers's audience would be listening through earbuds too i should imagine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

There's a nice little David Byrne lecture on this stuff, the impact of architecture, microphones and whatnot on the development of music.

me and bro chuckled when we done that chinging

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 19.00.15.jpg
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    There's a nice little David Byrne lecture on this stuff, the impact of architecture, microphones and whatnot on the development of music.

Jesus Christ Not This Hack

Idiosyncratic voices that are that dramatic seem destined for one-hit wonder status because so many of the drill MCs were all about avoiding detection, slipping in and out. It's why BT & Rendo didn't get as far as Skengdo & AM because they're loud and up front as opposed to the flat and laid out approach.

This one was destined to go nowhere tbh. Great as the delivery is.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

I love poky. I remember playing d kamp to Luke when he first converted to drill and he thought it sounded backwards.

Iím surprised youíd like it though crowl. Itís so tied up in second generation Africans taking the puss of their parents. Banter music.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Dizzee does a subtler version of the same thing. The hysterical, frantic upward ascent of pitch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    In fact, it strikes me that this instrumental, if it was repackaged, could be 'blade runner music' in itself - paranoid, synthetic, small dehumanised bursts of song
    Is this the 'inadvertent future' barry?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    20 minutes I was halfway through starting a thread about 21st futurism being inadvertent. Baseline and drill artists calling themselves code names (t2, v9, c1) without opting for other futurist signifiers.

Comparing how zapp would call their vocal treatments robotic to how autotune isnít posited as similarly futurist these days.
    This was my reply to that post corpse

finally listened to this and absolutely love the forward momentum and continuity of the slow attack pianos, i feel like a fair bit of the drill i've heard uses them in a kind of one chord at a time, spacial way. but this is like, a very rich piano arp suspended above this slinking drum line that coils inward only to lunge forward again. the quick upward glide of the bass is that lunge. continual tension and no release, a plateau. should probably zone in on specific lyrics to touch on that aspect, bc ofc i'm not familiar w what they're really talking ab but the generalised language, the code, of any of this stuff gives occult gravity to what's being said, it's meant to have that multiplicity and that very multiplicity gives the outsider the opportunity to infer what's going on by analogy (thug's "i'm not a fish eye, fool you, bitch this a peep hole", his whole thing is this really i spent years with it), see Rap Invocation thread

19. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

continuum rhythms as dialectic, as upward and irregular spirals. really want to get on the moscow angle, brexit is mentioned as well ("but we're not leaving"), maybe linked to the cartoonish paranoia by our own imperialists about russia. red army general.