sufi

lala
https://www.futilitycloset.com/2019/04/11/spine-tinglers/ In a 2009 study of responses to music, neuroscientist Valorie Salimpoor and her colleagues asked participants to bring in 3 to 5 pieces of “intensely pleasurable instrumental music to which they experience chills.” Then they measured their physiological response as they listened. They found that the “chills” effect is real — when the subjects reported that their pleasure at the music was highest, so was their sympathetic nervous system activity, a measure of emotional arousal.

One byproduct of the study is a list of more than 200 chills-inducing moments in music of various genres, with precise timestamps of the crucial points:
Composer/Artist Title Chills

Beethoven
Piano Sonata No. 17 in D Minor (“The Tempest”) 5:33
MahlerSymphony No. 1 – Movement 4 5:42, 9:57, 15:15
Charles Mingus Fables of Faubus 0:20, 7:10

Stan Getz
Round Midnight 1:26

Pink Floyd
Shine on You Crazy Diamond 5:00

Phish
You Enjoy Myself 10:50

Cannonball Adderley
One for Daddy-O 0:40

Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
Congan 2:09

Crowfoot
Larks in May 0:10, 2:00

Howard Shore
The Breaking of the Fellowship (film score) 0:10, 0:55

Dave Matthews Band
#34 1:40

The Dissociatives
Paris Circa 2007 Slash 08 1:30

Brad Mehldau
Knives Out 4:45, 7:25

Explosions in the Sky
First Breath After Coma 2:25, 3:30, 8:10

The full list is here (Table_S1). (Note too that the timestamps relate to a particular recording, so consider them approximate in e.g. classical music.)

(Valorie N. Salimpoor, et al., “The Rewarding Aspects of Music Listening Are Related to Degree of Emotional Arousal,” PloS One 4:10 [2009], e7487.)
I kind of thought the research project might have been to rate the relative intensity of the rush for a top ten spine tinglers

full list - https://ndownloader.figshare.com/files/435833 you'll know a few

mvuent

Void Dweller
I've been skeptical of this phenomenon for a while now. seems like a very superficial response to music. Woebot posted some study on his blog where the researcher was bragging about being able to get chills like 20 times in a song or something--and obviously this wasn't a guy who was all that into music. which to me says it all.

pacing your room in a state of amazement >>>> "chills"

Last edited:

version

... the researcher was bragging about being able to get chills like 20 times in a song or something--and obviously this wasn't a guy who was all that into music

You mean he experienced chills himself or that he could come up with a piece of music that would trigger chills in other people?

version

It won't be long before someone cracks the pattern for triggering them tbh, the musical equivalent of ASMR.

version

A pop song mapped to the human brain, specific trigger points littered throughout. You could do it with audiobooks too.

version

I remember reading a Reddit thread on who the worst fans to deal with when working at an outdoor festival/concert are and more than one person brought up Dave Matthews Band.