Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: The shuffle function and depersonalisation

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,346

    Default

    I've talked a bit about the sudden emergence of Midori Takada on everyone's YouTube suggestions a few years back before. That seems unlikely to be a corporate plot but it did lead to reissues of her records and the reignition of her career. Very odd. Very modern.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    My own streaming conspiracy theory

    When Michael Jackson's face appeared as the avatar for one of my "Discover" lists (plus loads of MJ choons) in the day or two following the broadcast of "Finding Neverland".

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I've talked a bit about the sudden emergence of Midori Takada on everyone's YouTube suggestions a few years back before. That seems unlikely to be a corporate plot but it did lead to reissues of her records and the reignition of her career. Very odd. Very modern.
    I've worked peripherally in the digital marketing world, the only reason platforms like YouTube and Facebook are "free" to use is because they transitioned early on from organic to paid posts. not 100% of course, but a sizable percentage. started out that a company would open its FB or YT account, upload/post content, and everyone who followed those companies would see it on their feeds or it would show up on organic searches. nowadays, companies can still post/upload content, but just a small percentage of people actually see it. in order to get the content into our feeds, companies have to "boost" the post with some spending.

    just guessing but wouldn't be surprised if the record label seeded the market with paid boosts for the Takada reissue to generate awareness in the months leading up to announcement of the reissue. or could have been an organized PR campaign to get advanced content to influencers/tastemakers (select hipsters, journalists, etc) in order to generate a buzz. to the unaware outsider (aka, the average music fan), the whole things appears to be organic in that an artist somehow enters the zeitgeist and then a reissue appears four months later to "answer" the demand in interest...when in actuality it was all astroturf instead of grassroots demand.

    not saying that definitely was the case with Takada, but wouldn't be surprised.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:


  6. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,346

    Default

    Very interesting. Thanks Leo.

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    You know what probably influences our thinking these days, subliminally or otherwise, is the prominence of 'networks' in our social relations as well as technology.

    I mean, most people are now are of everything being connected economically ('kevin bacon effect') - and on spotify, say, you have this chain of linkages now between - I dunno - fleetwood mac and justin bieber - there are a certain number of steps you can take via spotify or youtube to get from one to the other.

    There's no sense of anything existing in isolation from anything else.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    which begs the question: is it continually popping up because it's somehow related to other things you've watched, or simply because the artist or record label put some ad money behind it to MAKE it pop up in front of a lot of people?

    few algorithms are "pure", platforms like YT, FB, Spotify, etc. make their money by selling visibility on our feeds.
    i also got those takada and blue gas recommendations on youtube. what you say is of course true but i thought that maybe there are some songs that sort of apply to everyone's taste. songs that nobody consciously dislikes, and somehow i think that takada music fits into that category. i have no idea how these algorithms work but isn't it possible that some songs are build up of exactly the right elements for them to show up in everyone's recommendations?

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i also got those takada and blue gas recommendations on youtube. what you say is of course true but i thought that maybe there are some songs that sort of apply to everyone's taste. songs that nobody consciously dislikes, and somehow i think that takada music fits into that category. i have no idea how these algorithms work but isn't it possible that some songs are build up of exactly the right elements for them to show up in everyone's recommendations?
    technically it's possible and I'm sure it happens sometimes, but probably not that often. most online suggestions are somehow based on past viewing or interactions (liking a post, friending someone, etc.). watching some underground resistance videos will probably cause some Robert hood and Jeff mills videos to be suggested in the righthand column on youtube (since they both played in UR), but it'll probably also get you some suggestions on new electronic music artists who are currently being hyped by the record label through paid boosting.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:


  11. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    leigh on sea
    Posts
    1,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    You know what probably influences our thinking these days, subliminally or otherwise, is the prominence of 'networks' in our social relations as well as technology.

    I mean, most people are now are of everything being connected economically ('kevin bacon effect') - and on spotify, say, you have this chain of linkages now between - I dunno - fleetwood mac and justin bieber - there are a certain number of steps you can take via spotify or youtube to get from one to the other.

    There's no sense of anything existing in isolation from anything else.
    Thatís what I always think when it says Ďif you like this, you will like this as well...í That constant sense of wanting things which are similar, if not the same. I use Apple Music and Iím often appalled by what they think Iíll like because Iíve played a particular artist - I wonder with supposedly with the world of music at its disposal why itís offer is often so narrow. Which is probably what they want.

  12. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Thatís what I always think when it says Ďif you like this, you will like this as well...í That constant sense of wanting things which are similar, if not the same. I use Apple Music and Iím often appalled by what they think Iíll like because Iíve played a particular artist - I wonder with supposedly with the world of music at its disposal why itís offer is often so narrow. Which is probably what they want.
    like I mentioned upthread, this is the reason an algorithm will never replace a good DJ.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:


  14. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    leigh on sea
    Posts
    1,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    like I mentioned upthread, this is the reason an algorithm will never replace a good DJ.
    Whilst true, what happens if they either donít know a good DJ or if DJs themselves become seduced by the algorithm- rather than exercising their own tastes and predilections they try to guess what the audience wants, almost aping the algorithm? A kind of branding out as everything tends to the middle.
    And if we listen to more and more music alone in our own headphone world - who is making those choices? Curated playlists and relying on the shuffle feature of iTunes or whatever music service weíre paying for. Are we abnegarpting control not to the Ďgood DJí but to an algorithm and relying we wonít have to hit the fast forward button too often?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •