Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Culture As Advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    What are things that advertising cannot be -

for example, in the "PC" era, if a song is offensive to a minority group, it can't be used to advertising, other than for a fringe ideology perhaps?
    greeks
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

You can't market using greek music in this country because our ears have evolved to reject it as unholy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

my rap rituals thread was an attempt to move beyond the "we can't stick it to the man any more" narrative and find aesthetically redeeming qualities in it.

raekwon's "27 inch zenith believe it" is rather poetic when taken outside the context of a tv. to declare an emotional or spiritual zenith to be only 27 inches is a off kilter and perplexing it makes you think. nowhere near tall enough to say it's a triumph but on the other hand not short enough for it to be ironic.

"pull up in a demon on god" is a rather rich idea when we're not perceiving it as a dodge demon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

animism.

No banter please lads this is a serious intellectual thread. The corpsey quote I opened the thread with makes a distinction between surface and depth and says advertising can only ever be surface, transforms everything into surface. Fashion does the same thing. Meaning is drained away. There's a seductive side to this. An appealing playfulness and semiotic literacy.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Fashion does the same thing. Meaning is drained away. There's a seductive side to this. An appealing playfulness and semiotic literacy.
    beyond soul

even in drill's heyday when it wasn't on advertiser's radar's, it was still very literally gang promotion. the language of having #[gang name] is essentially an advertising one; it was advertisers who pioneered the hashtag as a promotional tool. drill coopted it.

so even at it's most dangerous and underground, drill was steeped in the language of advertising.

No banter please lads this is a serious intellectual thread. The corpsey quote I opened the thread with makes a distinction between surface and depth and says advertising can only ever be surface, transforms everything into surface. Fashion does the same thing. Meaning is drained away. There's a seductive side to this. An appealing playfulness and semiotic literacy.
    I mean, I know I said that, but is 'surface/depth' anything more than a cliche? What does it actually mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    even in drill's heyday when it wasn't on advertiser's radar's, it was still very literally gang promotion. the language of having #[gang name] is essentially an advertising one; it was advertisers who pioneered the hashtag as a promotional tool. drill coopted it.

so even at it's most dangerous and underground, drill was steeped in the language of advertising.
    I think there's a danger here of a reductionist erasure of difference. Of robbing yourself of the conceptual tools required to seperate the commodified version from its progenitor. As I said with regards to Padriag this is by no means straightforward and unambiguous. It's slippery. And yet it's a distinction we keep making, as if it was obvious.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I mean, I know I said that, but is 'surface/depth' anything more than a cliche? What does it actually mean?

The Ballard quote says exactly the same thing.

"Reading Ballard's introduction to 'The Doors of Experience' the other day and he talks about how the entertainment/media has 'engirdled' the earth, so that the only way to escape fiction is to pursue/plumb the inner depths"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Luka got me like

I think there's a danger here of a reductionist erasure of difference. Of robbing yourself of the conceptual tools required to seperate the commodified version from its progenitor. As I said with regards to Padriag this is by no means straightforward and unambiguous. It's slippery. And yet it's a distinction we keep making, as if it was obvious.
    i see.

one crucial thing to talk in that context then is russ' jacket from 'gun lean'.

he went from talking about stabbings outside his local dry cleaners and shaking a stick in some weird suburban forest to being dressed in 70's-era elvis jacket, with a sports car next to him and rapping about 'don't worry we're not really violent, we just do a funny dance'.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

You could argue, from a cynical, but not stupid or contemptible position, that what we are asking for is fantasies we can believe in. Love can be thought of in this way. It ends when it's foundations in fantasy are uncovered. Disillusioned. Just mutually compatible projections.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

"Fifty years after his mescalin trip beside a Hollywood garden, when we have flown to the moon and engirdled our planet with an entertainment culture more suffocating than anything visualised in Brave New World, we may be right to think that the expedition Huxley undertook into his own brain is the last journey waiting for all of us, whether by chemical means or through some less hazardous door, the inward passage to our truer and richer selves."