Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The inadvertent future

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Is it futurism is overrated the remix?
    nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Vim thinks he's jettisoned salvation entirely. actually he's just shifted the secular criticism of heaven to the criticism of purgatory. otherwise the need to see the id to come into its own, for a post-neoliberal palingenetic awakening remains. he's just as deluded and involved in psychoanalytic deflections as all of us. he needs to get off his high horse. Stop trying to be alpha.

oi third, if you must slag vim off, it's here.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13910&page=3

this thread is for me to use as ammunition when i get grumpy at some point in the future.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    nah.
    What is it? What's the game? I'm just going into town for some coffee beans but I'll get involved soon

As for future.

probably detroit techno sounds more future than 93 darkcore to a non-initiate. A lot of this does depend on previously held value sets.

Also corpsey for the love of God I keep telling you Deckard dies. he's an android himself. I don't think this is in the film. the Vangelis sound track is comically new age. it doesn't race like the book at all.

oi third, if you must slag vim off, it's here.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13910&page=3

this thread is for me to use as ammunition when i get grumpy at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What is it? What's the game? I'm just going into town for some coffee beans but I'll get involved soon
    culture presents us with notions of what the future might hold. there are lots of different ones (religious eschatology, the third reich, etc.), but my focus has so far mainly been on two; one that dominated the 90's and one that dominates the 2010's:

music: jungle vs m!g%s

sci fi: matrix and terminator vs wal e and her

and so on.

this is to try and understand what the new future is that's being presented to us. why is it being presented to us and what impact with that have?

so far i'm saying it's an inadvertent form of futurism. it's more social, more infantile and musically is happening in the mainstream rather than the underground.
    I respect islamists

breakcore and techstep are closer to bladerunner than ltj bukem or ambient photek.

Pattycakes/incredible string band/pharaoh sanders unease with this is expressed by retreating back into the world of the noble savage. Its anti-future.
    avatar is pastoral futurism. it's this disguised as futurism.

(i haven't actually seen it)
    I respect islamists

close your eyes. imagine you've never seen the city before. does it sound glistening and shiney? does it fuck! it sounds more and more garbled. I'm not sure why an aural form of cognition has been reduced to the fantasies of pictorial artists. Like I said yesterday, internet 2.0 should have given us information overload in music, but apart from people like oneohtrix point never that sort of arty scene it hasn't been done. jungle and early grime did, of course. But rnb has been reduced to a narcotic torpor whilst migos is the age old trick of increasing the economic privilege of a small section of black people whilst still rendering them culturally and sociologically marginal to politically nonexistent. The story of white supremacy in black music even.

Hip hop may not like the cut of whitey's jib, but it sure loves its money.
    Last edited by thirdform; 26-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    breakcore and techstep are closer to bladerunner than ltj bukem or ambient photek.
    breakdown what bladerunner is. what parts of it are breakstep and techstep? compare that to bukem.

-edit, i missed the above post
    I respect islamists

technologists have essentially spent the past decade developing apps that do things that your mom used to take care of: Alexa to turn off lights in a room, uber to call you a taxi, fresh direct to do food shopping, etc. an aspect of futurism seems based on the notion of scarcity of time, the push to develop all these "innovations" designed to save you time. maybe saving time becomes critical in an accelerated culture.

or maybe people are just inherently lazy. how much fucking time does it take to get off your ass and turn off a light?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    technologists have essentially spent the past decade developing apps that do things that your mom used to take care of: Alexa to turn off lights in a room, uber to call you a taxi, fresh direct to do food shopping, etc. an aspect of futurism seems based on the notion of scarcity of time, the push to develop all these "innovations" designed to save you time. maybe saving time becomes critical in an accelerated culture.

or maybe people are just inherently lazy. how much fucking time does it take to get off your ass and turn off a light?
    the future is no longer draconian and austere, but rather nurturing and comforting.
    I respect islamists

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    technologists have essentially spent the past decade developing apps that do things that your mom used to take care of
    the popularity of ambient textures in rnb, rap and uk drill evoke the womb.
    I respect islamists

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Leo

The thing is futurism as a trope of popular consciousness was always a big fucking fake.

If futurism was really as how it was understood to be it would be ambient, chill out and the variants of eurodisco, not to mention Celine Dion.

Part of our critique of this traditional notion of futurism is half of the jungle we venerate was made with antique technology even then. akai s1000 in 1994? give me a break professionals were using pro tools.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: