thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Claude young, future sound of london, biosphere. Any number of glossy futures in the 90s. The glossiness today is best read as retro kitsch.

Sure but Claude Young was more like a 92-94 era ltj bukem figure. he made oceanic detroit techno soul but could pound it out like the best of em.

Future sound of London sucked after 1992 anyway. their best track is the hardcore one they did called tingler under the smart systems alias on Kickin.

luka

Get back to theorising and being brainy. Doesn't matter what the best fsol record is. Beside the point... let's go!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Claude made loads of slick ambient floaty techno. Check the archive.

Yes I know that. I mean ur talking to a detroit head here. But even so his dj sets were mills level in intensity. Check live at Voodoo 1997.

And the one he did on frictional 001 is a union between the ambient and the detroit funk.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality." (Jung)

wedding-16-900x500.jpg

luka

Babes, I'm all for you being a domina but I'm not exactly a repository you can milk now is it.

Lol I was merely lending weight to your initial point- that glossy frictionless futures outweighed gritty futures in the 90s. And probably always have done. Literally just helping out look at the thanks I get!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This is really what is so seductive about liberal democracy. under communism not only the individual will not decide how to act or what gets produced, but it will be utterly irrelevant to said individual to consider this to even be a choice with a logical coherency. there will be noone to rule and much less someone to demand autonomy from. the species will fully know itself and plan accordingly. this will allow the complete maximisation of pleasure. not the pleasure that is snatched from us as soon as it commences. the communist revolution will abolish God not through a sustained campaign of philistine bourgeois anti-religious sentimentality (though take note ecclesiastics, we unabashedly stand for terror) but by realising pantheistic materialism on a global scale.

Last edited:

luka

Utter tosh of course, it's the deceptively and deluding ruthless attainment of satisfaction and pleasure, not the inoffensive sentimentality that covers brutality. Straight out of the Jordan Peterson handbook that.

I think hes making a visual gag. It looks and is a super structure. Steel girders. Geddit?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Lol I was merely lending weight to your initial point- that glossy frictionless futures outweighed gritty futures in the 90s. And probably always have done. Literally just helping out look at the thanks I get!

I was saying that with a gay manly slap on the back, you know. It's all love!

luka

Are there any futures which belong to music alone? That music can claim to have dreamed first?

There are 1984 futures, Brave New World futures, Neuromancer/Bladerunner/Cyberpunk futures/1960s kitsch futures (Barberella/Jetsons/clockwork orange/2001) there are the sci fi book cover paintings, there's minority report apple touch screen futures, there's le courboisier futures, archigram futures, phillip k dick futures. ...

What does music do? What can we credit it with?

luka

What do we mean when we talk of music being futurustic? Evocation of future technologies? Future velocities? Future transcendence of augmentation of the body? Future time travel and time manipulation?

luka

I think we need a thread for barty to explain why migos are futuristic because it seems ridiculous to everyone but him. But he will persuade you in a separate thread. It will represent the apotheosis of Barty.

luka

Third likes all this corporate fourth world electronica that sounds exactly like global capital. Exactly like an HSBC advert. The daughters of middle eastern diplomats who went to art school in Camberwell.

luka

I've got a fetish for the street so I dont want to hear these weakly conceptualised mash ups. I like poor people. But it does sound up to date in a horrible international business school way. Setting up a broadband service in Lagos. Meeting in the four seasons champagne bar in Shanghai

luka

Currency trading in Singapore. The frictionless world of global capital. The global party circuit. People who don't work. Berlin. New York. Rio. South East Asia. Sun rise on the beach in mdma afterglow. Croatian music festival snogging an Australian.

luka

The future without the futurism

Auto-tune, drill-as-bladerunner, google glasses, Alexa, after effects in film editing

In what way can these things be considered future without the futurism. So baffed. You're literally talking about x ray spex that shoot lasers and give scrolling terminator like iris data feeds. Alexa is artifical intelligence you can have a conversation with. These are classic sci fi devices

luka

This also has to do with the infantilisation of the future. The rounded off shake and rubbery texture of iPhone app icons. The apple logo itself. Quavo looking like a baby. No drill artist being taller that 5 ft 8.

The future of old was arguably concentrated adultnes- cold, rational, monochrome, etc.

This I think of as a very retro 1960s future. The milk bar in clockwork orange.

sufi

lala
The invention of plastic seems crucial here as aesthetic marker. The brave new world of inorganic matter.
What 3rdF was saying the other day about killing dead things; plastic is oil is ancient dead things, our future is made of dead stuff

(doubt that's what 3f was on about :) of course )