Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ♡♥MIGOS R THE FUTURE♥♡

baby music for white people.

Ok Si, this ain't a call out i realised that sounds a bit harsh but different value sets and that.
    Last edited by thirdform; 29-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    'cantonisation' - this is one I missed, is this a musical term?
    no, just me showing off.
    not what i was hoping for if i'm honest

Not sure why we can say this about utter rappers consciously pivoting to a whiter audience but in this case its a bit taboo?

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    it's more like verbal jump up than verbal jungle though isn't it. sea saw pendulum.
    this is an absolutely genius and astute comparison for 'walk it'.

as si says, check out 'slippery', 't shirt', etc. for more jungly ones. accents on off beats like jungle.

very good though third.

like not that I am a corpse crying for the resurrection of Vinnie Paz but come on lads.

todd edwardsy chorus for third

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

this thread is frustrating because it's like the pitchfork default of saying they've got to the top, they have nothing to prove. well yes, that's obviously the case, but then you concede a bone to the dilla retro fetishists.

Why does corpse like Vinnie Paz so much?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    todd edwardsy chorus for third

Exactly. if I'm going to go feminin I might as well go all the way. top one sadam.

It's like that migos were the most innovative since Rakim. I'm not against this viewpoint whatever but half of the people who were into young thug and Migos that I met a few years ago didn't even know who Rakim was! hip hop has taken the roll of indie pop for white hipsters. like, noone listens to indie anymore. This was pitchfork's conscious pivot in the late 00s and early 11s.

Like Bliss had an interesting thesis around (oh, circa 2005?) about how black pop and white pop stopped talking to each other. But white pop today is basically the mainstream wing of the wire isn't it? Savages and Jenny Hval. It doesn't actually exist. who actually listens to Jo Riley on radio 1?

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    the Culture/Culture II era, they have nothing to prove, they've won, they are basking - melting into liquid glowing pools of jouissance

there is an ecstatic, oozy quality - ethereal and (at odds with the lyrics) eerily unmanly at times, lacking in thrust and drive
    Isn't this a decades old critical intellectual bias though? music critics could never get with black sabbath. they could never get with grindcore, 90s memfis rap, horrorcore, dancehall, the more harsher end of dnb that crosses into gabba territory, speedcore etc. there seems to be a pivot to the oceanic to avoid getting too invested in male fantasies, as that german sociologist (I forget the name) coined it to refer to the hyper-masculinity of extreme right groups. It seems to be the curse of, i guess, coming from an outsider background.

But something white bohemians struggle to understand is we can't just escape hyper-masculinity at will. It's fucking dismal but it's fact.

That's why I'm kind of indifferent to tranquility unless it's done in a totally disembodied way like some berlin school and tangerine dream. I'm never ever tranquil. my mind is buzzing at 135 MPH all the time, even when someone's sucking me knob. So like I disagree with Corpsey's ADHD criticism. More of that is fantastic, but it's less now. more, more more flicking through TV channels! That's real.
    Last edited by thirdform; 29-04-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Again I don't think this is an authenticity vs plastic thing here, no label era Migos are not authentic (whatever that is supposed to mean.)

I just think ambient is a shit opiate for the people. it don't hit hard enough for me. It signals the decline of innovation in the capitalist manufacturing process, not its apotheosis.

This could actually be anti-miserabilist if the left got its house of cards in order and wasn't a caricature subculture. death to subcultures and death to pop too!

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    It's like that migos were the most innovative since Rakim. I'm not against this viewpoint whatever but half of the people who were into young thug and Migos that I met a few years ago didn't even know who Rakim was! hip hop has taken the roll of indie pop for white hipsters. like, noone listens to indie anymore. This was pitchfork's conscious pivot in the late 00s and early 11s.

Like Bliss had an interesting thesis around (oh, circa 2005?) about how black pop and white pop stopped talking to each other. But white pop today is basically the mainstream wing of the wire isn't it? Savages and Jenny Hval. It doesn't actually exist. who actually listens to Jo Riley on radio 1?
    Migos are no more innovative than future, keef or thug to name a few but that's not the point. The point is to goad barty into being brilliant.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Because he is brilliant he can take an inherently comical position and make it seem plausible, if only for an instant. That is the set up and it's a really good one.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I thought we'd already done that? For the record I liked that post, but i can't remember if i hit the like button, i thought it was very well thought out, even if he was caricaturing my position with the anti-capitalist comment...

I thought this was the aftermath now? in which case I'll shut up if I'm wrong.