blissblogger

'cantonisation' - this is one I missed, is this a musical term?

i thought this was something to do with the devolved political structure of Switzerland!

it sounds right, though, as a musical term - like i feel like i understand it (without really understanding it)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe Barty has actually put his finger on exactly what I find so batshit irritating about them?

The atomisation. As if you're watching TV and some ADHD addled youth is endlessly flicking between channels.

I think this is a nice idea corpsey but actually I think you just don't like their voices

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The way they rap:

walk it
like you
talk it

Chopped into three units.

Not 'walk it like you talk it'.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
blimmin hell you're demanding aren't you, just after my idiot dad went to court again, the cunt.

The staccato 1-2-1-2 beat is closer to drum and bass than it is jungle. in this sense Versachi has much more rhythmic tics and accentuations going on compared to walk it talk it which, if i may be so bold, sounds like what 98 dnb was to 93 jungle.

The instrumentals from the earlier migos era also have all kinds of weird drop outs and rawer production values that both cultures don't have, which I thought were underwhelming. I also find the bass hits harder on earlier Migos. Yes, it's certainly less widescreen, but I can't see how making a bassline more widescreen qualifies as a seismic innovation when the ratchet crew are doing that anyway with much more successful results.

Last edited:

blissblogger

Come on guys.

From this

To this

face it NO Label II era Migos were better.

this is a shit comparison because "Walk It Talk it" is the worst thing Migos did in the whole Culture / Culture II / Control the Streets era, it's a boring reversion to 'Versace' type doggerel

compare the No Label II tune with "T Shirt" or "Slippery" - or "Bosses Don't Speak" - or "MotorSport" "Top Down on Da NAWF" "Made Men" "Movin Too Fast"

i think the latter type of tune is way more interesting sonically and in terms of the subjectivity it presents

the first era Migos is energetic and muscular, they are working hard, on the make... fine as far as it goes, onventional in terms of a hip hop psychology (in that sense it's a bit like "Move That Dope" for Future, excitingly feral, but not as interesting as the more woozy stuff later where he feels like he's only half there)

the Culture/Culture II era, they have nothing to prove, they've won, they are basking - melting into liquid glowing pools of jouissance

there is an ecstatic, oozy quality - ethereal and (at odds with the lyrics) eerily unmanly at times, lacking in thrust and drive

all of what Barty says but particularly those Martian murmurs from the crypt - I've never heard anyone do that before, the three-tier vocals: lead rap, ad libs, and in the deep background the moaning droning wordless sighs and flutters and shivers and shudders

they (but especially Quavo) seem lost in an auto-erotic swirl, draped in a bliss seems to seep out of their bodies as a mist of Auto-Tuned droplets

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, hip hop for people don't want to get down with the militant psychology required from the genre. at least tod edwards had an extreme feminin joy. you could literally feel like you wanted to be a woman.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
baby music for white people.

Ok Si, this ain't a call out i realised that sounds a bit harsh but different value sets and that.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Not sure why we can say this about utter rappers consciously pivoting to a whiter audience but in this case its a bit taboo?

sadmanbarty

it's more like verbal jump up than verbal jungle though isn't it. sea saw pendulum.

this is an absolutely genius and astute comparison for 'walk it'.

as si says, check out 'slippery', 't shirt', etc. for more jungly ones. accents on off beats like jungle.

very good though third.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this thread is frustrating because it's like the pitchfork default of saying they've got to the top, they have nothing to prove. well yes, that's obviously the case, but then you concede a bone to the dilla retro fetishists.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's like that migos were the most innovative since Rakim. I'm not against this viewpoint whatever but half of the people who were into young thug and Migos that I met a few years ago didn't even know who Rakim was! hip hop has taken the roll of indie pop for white hipsters. like, noone listens to indie anymore. This was pitchfork's conscious pivot in the late 00s and early 11s.

Like Bliss had an interesting thesis around (oh, circa 2005?) about how black pop and white pop stopped talking to each other. But white pop today is basically the mainstream wing of the wire isn't it? Savages and Jenny Hval. It doesn't actually exist. who actually listens to Jo Riley on radio 1?