Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTS

OTOH I bet JH Prynne can't throw a tennis ball to save his life

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

There's a good paragraph in Spengler about historical facts, and their distinction from truths. Might see if I can find it and post it here when I get home.

Remember that comelately guy? He didn't just not care about facts but went as far as insisting they didn't exist, lol.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I like the notion that facts don't exist. There is No one who has taken psychedelics and not brushed up against that possibility. This is one reason I like the flat earth thing.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    We should do another one actually. Feel Up to BLAKES JERUSALEM. Or even, I dunno, the prelude? What else is there?
    Respond to this tossed tennis ball pls corpse. Leap up and Catch it in your mouth.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I think facts DO exist but only on a certain level... This is something I've wrestled with over the years, the existential hollowing that comes with recognising that on any number of levels our lives, our identities, our societies, etc. 'mean' NOTHING. Actually my 'insight' on acid was that human meaning is the only meaning that can mean anything to us, and there's nothing really wrong with that, so long as we recognise the limitations in that.

But this thread recalled to me an article in the gruniad about the difference between what people think is true vs what is true, and the damage that can be doing. For example, the percentage of the UK that is immigrant is wildly overestimated by general opinion.

Respond to this tossed tennis ball pls corpse. Leap up and Catch it in your mouth.
    I wanted to, tbh, I was momentarily startled and confused working out what I would like to/be willing to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I wanted to, tbh, I was momentarily startled and confused working out what I would like to/be willing to read.
    I think what would be best for both of us is something we have been putting off reading, out of a sense of trepidation. Something which feels like a substantial hill to climb, but needs climbing.

Well, leaving novels out of it cos I know you hate them...

The Divine Comedy
    Shakespeare (in general - though I suppose you've done this)
    Ulysses (only technically a novel)
    Four Quartets
    The Prelude (either edition, I suppose?)

Blake is definitely one I've been avoiding, too.

I haven't done all Shakespeare. Not done, for instance, merchant of Venice. I haven't done othello basically.y cos I find it too upsetting I've realised. Four quartets I know fairly well and is too easy. Ulysses is too long. I want something we can steam through in a week or absolute max two weeks

Surely a respect for facts goes with political commitments? You don't strike me as having those sort of commitments Luka, thus your penchant for conspiracies (for instance). Not having a go, just a difference in perspectives. I like facts and history, I wish political discourse was better and more fact-based, and I enjoy reading history.

Seeing fact-free discourse in circulation with regard to Syria say, saddens my greatly, and only strengthens the hand of greatly reactionary forces. I can't say I've made some kind of self-sacrificing commitment in my interest here - I really haven't - but "what really happened" is important when it comes to war crimes, atrocities and so on. Thus my hostility to conspiracies - I've seen them employed so cynically and negatively so frequently. Different interests and temperaments I guess.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I've been reading extracts from Yeats's memoirs the last few days, I really want to read the whole thing but I don't know how easy it is to get hold of. Have you read them? I think you'd like them based on what I've read of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memoirs-W-B.../dp/0333130804

Shakespeare wise what I'd like to do is read Henry IV pt 1 (Again) and Henry IV pt 2 (for the first time).

I own it. I've read bits. A vain, silly man.

Isn't to commit to facts and a position kinda courageous in a way? Kinda reminds me of what you were saying about Barty in the Migos thread.

Go on Danny. Make the argument. I can see one way in which that would be the case but I also see a whole host of dangers.

I own it. I've read bits. A vain, silly man.
    There's some great stuff from his dad in there - his dad said something like all contemplative men being in a conspiracy to establish the superiority of their way of life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: