Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTS

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    There's some great stuff from his dad in there - his dad said something like all contemplative men being in a conspiracy to establish the superiority of their way of life.
    Timothy Leary had that notion. He thought it was what Gravitys Rainbow is about. Ezra Pound is another one who believed in a counter conspiracy of the intelligent and independent.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Go on Danny. Make the argument. I can see one way in which that would be the case but I also see a whole host of dangers.
    I think the argument is self evident no? "On this rock, I build my castle" - this is a truth I assert and commit to. Will make sacrifices for, will argue for and defend. A centre of meaning around which to build life? I find that more compelling than a kinda "nothing is true" relativism.

His dad railed against abstractions, rating Keats above Shelley on that basis (and hated Raphael for perfection that is really hypocrisy).

Yeats seems to have rebelled against him through mysticism and, latterly, a love of abstractions.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I think the argument is self evident no? "On this rock, I build my castle" - this is a truth I assert and commit to. Will make sacrifices for, will argue for and defend. A centre of meaning around which to build life? I find that more compelling than a kinda "nothing is true" relativism.
    Oh, ok, that's not what I thought you meant. I don't have a nothing is true relativism. I fall very firmly into the former camp. An essentially religious conviction.

This is actually what I've been reading

'Reveries over Childhood and Youth'
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33348...-h/33348-h.htm

I've never bothered looking into project gutenberg - wowww
    Last edited by Corpsey; 30-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Moral I was thinking - this is good, this is bad. Which ties in with politics to me, though most politics is far from moral.

Possibly I'm eliding truth with facts here?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Possibly I'm eliding truth with facts here?
    yes, truths are not the same as facts

But there is some sort of relationship... hard to pin down though?
    That quote from before that was "obviously" Pynchon - I would have guessed Fielding or Thackeray or someone, seems exactly the kind of musings they riff on in their novels. Was Pynchon consciously aping their style?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    This is one reason I like the flat earth thing.
    The other reason is that it's the most un-Mr. Tea-like position you possibly take.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yeah the whole book is like that. I've peered at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    The other reason is that it's the most un-Mr. Tea-like position you possibly take.
    Also a good reason.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I did start reading it I think but I lost it. Never made the connection before but just seeing that quote in isolation it leapt out at me.

I'm sure corpse is right and that this is predominantly a question of instinctual native orientation before it is any kind of moral question or whatever. You are talking about (at least) 2 different species.

The kind of maths say that idlerich can do, I won't say easily, but is capable of at the peak of his powers will always be beyond me and even beyond'half breeds' like vimothy.