Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTS

Default FACTS

There are two types of people in this world, people who like facts and people who can live without them.
    Are you a fact man? Speaking for myself I can't stand them but this troubles me occasionally and I buy a book of facts, for self improvement reasons, which I never read.

When I see a whole heap of facts staring back at me I shrivel up. What is the point of this, I ask. What am I supposed to do with it?

So for instance, i think of myself as being interested in history. I like going to old places and I like going to museums but I have never read a history book. I can't. They are so boring and full of superfluous facts.

“Facts are but the Play-things of lawyers,-- Tops and Hoops, forever a-spin... Alas, the Historian may indulge no such idle Rotating. History is not Chronology, for that is left to Lawyers,-- nor is it Remembrance, for Remembrance belongs to the People. History can as little pretend to the Veracity of the one, as claim the Power of the other,-- her Practitioners, to survive, must soon learn the arts of the quidnunc, spy, and Taproom Wit,-- that there may ever continue more than one life-line back into a Past we risk, each day, losing our forebears in forever,-- not a Chain of single Links, for one broken Link could lose us All,-- rather, a great disorderly Tangle of Lines, long and short, weak and strong, vanishing into the Mnemonick Deep, with only their Destination in common.”

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Your prose style has changed a lot since I last heard from you

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Yeah.

It's obviously Pynchon, partly cos it's you posting it, and partly cos it's obviously Pynchon. I stalled around page 650 of GR but I started again yesterday. I'm on the Counteforce bit now.

It's a strange book. I loved it, but if I'm not in the mood the 18th Century English is just irritating.
    Last edited by version; 30-04-2019 at 03:50 PM.

I think it's a matter of cognitive predeliction

I have never had a head for numbers, for dates, nor much interest in facts

To this day I can't remember either of my parents birthdays, e.g.

James Joyce was obsessed with facts insofar as they furnished him with material for his books.

Do you also feel a bit uneasy about not having a head for facts? Do you have the same misgivings about it that I do?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

YES!

I feel so many misgivings about the nature of my mind and interests that I'm perpetually haranguing myself

As you know I have no interest whatsoever in politics and very little in current events.

I recognise this is a black mark against me.

Why is it that I just cannot force myself to read the great works of philosophy and literature but I can plough through a pile of true crime library articles about grubby serial killers lickity split?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

We'll always have paradise lost

We should do another one actually. Feel Up to BLAKES JERUSALEM. Or even, I dunno, the prelude? What else is there?

I'm also terrible at geography.

I don't really know where anywhere is in the UK, even - let alone anywhere else.

Also anything adults should know about, like mortgages and taxes. Not a clue.

I mean, I know that fact people can't do what I do. I know they can't cut through to essentials in the way I can, can't see the shape of a thing. So I bolster myself with that. But then you have people like JH Prynne who can do everything. Who, I assume, have trained
    Their minds to do compensate for an initial weakness. Worked on that weakness and conquered it through POWER