Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The voice as instrument

Nicholas Bullen has written some good things on this
    http://www.sinisterdexter.org/MEDIA/PDF/WBPR08.pdf

"The voice (the conveyancing mechanism of language in aural terms) becomes
    almost unrecognisable in this music, moving beyond the status of the voice as site
    of communication and meaning to become an object attempting to erase subject.
    This voice seeks a mode of communication which operates precisely through its
    own loss of expressive capability: it simultaneously alienates itself from expression
    and expresses alienation, becoming an expression of language which is against
    language in the manner of Glossolalia (the practice of speaking in tongues). In this
    process, the garbling of the larynx becomes an aural blast denuded of meaning,
    reducing the function of the vocal chain to that of pure sound (pure utterance)."

Quote Originally Posted by jorge View Post
    There's an amazing documentary called 'echoes of home' about various musicians who are doing 'experimental' yodelling. Christian zehnder is one of them and does some incredible combinations of yodelling and overtone throat singing. In the doc he goes to Mongolia and jams with tuvan throat singers in a yurt, which is class!
    A thing I only found out recently is that Sardinia actually has a throat-singing tradition:

Also, it's sort of a stretch in that in a literal sense it's totally about the words, but I've been tracking down a few odds and ends of the improvised style of Gaelic psalmody from the Outer Hebrides recently and the vocal textures it creates are incredible. Sort of a missing link between gospel, qawwali and your local church choir:

A Korean song came on my Spotify last night and it got me thinking about this thread - how, when you can't understand the language somebody's singing/rapping in, you are 'forced' to pay attention to the 'formal' music. The same holds true for poetry IMO - a great way of understanding poetry's musical qualities is to listen to a poem you can't understand.

Great idea for a thread, Dan. I really love that first Sonny Sharrock tune you posted.

I think I've played this to you before - it's one of the most genuinely unearthly things I've ever heard:

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Fave of me and Bunnyhausen way back:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post: