The voice as instrument

sus

Idk! No idea really and as Rich is alluding to, you can seek out new and exciting sounds that aren't within your geographical or temporal boundary especially now, more than ever. The board - prior to this anyway - seems based on that impulse.

And anyway, you're aware of the board's history, regardless of whether you feel drawn to or inspired by the musics discussed (I'd guess not). So it still seems a peculiar - perverse even - place to put your own chart which is so different from that. Maybe that's the point? A big gesture of disjuncture? Abandon this weird attachment to underdogs, the non-commercial, the urban and surrender to the sweet pleasures of Norah Jones?
DannyL called me out so I'm posting Inuit throat-singing

shakahislop

its the hardest thing to get right. figuring out new vocal modes that sound right. hard area to innovate in but killer effective when it happens. the morrissey thing for example, a voice that would have be dismissed as absolute shit until the stars aligned. hiphop is the easiest to track because it everyone copies one another and it changes so fast. the more stuttery patterns that emerged ten years ago and so on, that went from sounding unthinkablely bad and wrong to totally normal and expected really fast. its the thing i notice most prominently in the interesting fringes of guitar music that no-one listens to, the stuff that has 1,000 listens, people experimenting and figuring out how one could sing, what now works to catch the mood of the moment