Read Serious Poetry with me & Corpsey

luka

I think he was fond of Pope. He told Eliot cut the Pope pastiche (from the wasteland(, you can't do it as well as Pope and suffer by the comparison.

luka

Mcluhan is huge on Pope. Pope is central to hos work, weirdly. I've not been drawn to it at all. I suppose degrees can be good in that they force you to engage with stuff you wouldn't otherwise bother with.

luka

Tell us about Pope. We're not sure what it is. We don't have a masters in eng lit

craner

Beast of Burden
My tutor for this period of literature wrote a rather flamboyant book about Pope. I remember it made this stuff seem quite mind-blowing: look, it's only £40 on Amazon!

He was a clever but camp fellow with a beard. When we had a seminar on George Etheridge's The Man of Mode, he insisted that we read out large chunks of the play like some kind of Am Dram company, very firmly taking the part of Sir Fopling Flutter
for himself.

luka

There's very little poetry I like. I'm not an omniverous 'fan of poetry' i think 99% of it is pointless fiddling.

craner

Beast of Burden
That is how I feel, as well. I once wrote a manifesto about how pointless poetry is and how everybody should just go and read The Cantos, Pierre Guyotat and Beckett's short prose (quite a militant position, I admit). I was totally amazed by all the tributes that poured out after the death of Les Murray this week.