Read Serious Poetry with me & Corpsey

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And we don't recoil from Shakespeare's fairies, of course - they seem somehow more joyful and irreverent

The sickly pale o'ercast cheeks of the 19th century, quite disgusting now - pre-raphaelite aesthetics

Perhaps simply because we're children of Modernism.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
QUESTION: When you read an auld poem and it has, say an ABAB rhyming structure - but A is 'the blowing wind' and 'the thinking mind'... Are you supposed to pronounce 'wind' and 'mind' with the same vowel sound, so they do rhyme?

OBVIOUS OBSERVATION: Rhyme is a real problem for English poets. Rhymes are often quite shit in English poetry.

craner

Beast of Burden
The sickly pale o'ercast cheeks of the 19th century, quite disgusting now - pre-raphaelite aesthetics

Was probably as bad then, and quite a lot of people are still taken in by this stuff, but maybe more in the art world where any old bollocks will get taken seriously. Sadly it's behind the pay wall, but this evisceration of Edward Burne-Jones could have stood for the entire pre-Raphaelite gang.

craner

Beast of Burden
Rhymes are often quite shit in English poetry

The rhyming couplet is hard to pull off, maybe impossible over a long period. The Rape of the Lock was a good stab at it, to go back to Pope.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What about my question re: rhymes that don't rhyme?

P.S. I'd like to read this conquest demolition attempt on pound, i don't suppose its online anywhere?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was probably as bad then, and quite a lot of people are still taken in by this stuff, but maybe more in the art world where any old bollocks will get taken seriously. Sadly it's behind the pay wall, but this evisceration of Edward Burne-Jones could have stood for the entire pre-Raphaelite gang.

Are you behind that paywall? If so can you copy and paste?

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm not. I read it on the day when I actually brought the paper, annoyingly I chucked it out.

craner

Beast of Burden
What about my question re: rhymes that don't rhyme?

Well, there are half rhymes, which are used a lot in poetry.

If you are talking about changes in vowel pronunciation over time and its effect on how poetry is read, then I don't know the answer.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well, there are half rhymes, which are used a lot in poetry.

If you are talking about changes in vowel pronunciation over time and its effect on how poetry is read, then I don't know the answer.

I often wonder if these are supposed to be subtle rhymes or if they're only 'subtle' because we pronounce words differently.

craner

Beast of Burden
P.S. I'd like to read this conquest demolition attempt on pound, i don't suppose its online anywhere?

I don't think so. It's in a book called The Abomination of Moab.

craner

Beast of Burden
Ben Jonson
Donne
Hopkins
Baudelaire
Yeats
Pound
Eliot
Mina Loy
Frank O Hara
E E Cummings

Had to exclude Shakespeare, Marlowe and Webster on Luke's rules.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sorry for the endless questions but

Would you say there are certain qualities that you look for in poetry that you find in those 10 poets? You once wrote on here that you despise Larkin. I wonder if there is a definition you have either consciously or not in your mind when deciding if poetry is good or bad, or if it's just a case of reading a poem like you'd listen to a song...

craner

Beast of Burden
Have you ever read the divine comedy?

I slogged through Peter Dale's translation of Inferno a long time ago, and hated it, literally could not go any further.

I have the Allen Mandelbaum translation on my shelf, which I have dipped into and looks much better. I am looking forward to reading all of it, although that may not happen until next year.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, they are all very different poets, but there is definitely an emphasis on form, and unusual rhythmic, lyrical and syntactic effects. I have an aversion to the Romantics, as you can probably see, I don't care about the poem being a vehicle for someone's feelings or their amazing mind or personality. I like the use of language to convey and express moments, ideas or emotions in precise or surprising ways. There's an inherent difficulty and obliqueness to it. Sometimes sense is lost to sound, which can have its own new and invigorating effects and meanings (Hopkins, Loy). I like the idea of poems being either functional (Jonson's epigrams, Donne) or superficial/joyful (Frank O'Hara's 'I do this, I do that' rambles, Cummings) or beyond conventional norms (Loy, Pound, Cummings). I like the Tradition and the inherent narrative of its development and supersession - the seeds of self-destruction inherent in it. This doesn't explain why I loathe Larkin, at all, I realise.

craner

Beast of Burden
There's a certain sensibility I would have to think more about, it might be illuminating (personally).