Read Serious Poetry with me & Corpsey

craner

Beast of Burden
Deadly serious aesthetic and intellectual purpose is crucial - even when being silly or drifting, like O'Hara. No pomposity, windiness, flabbiness. No regurgitation of form in a safe, domestic context.

craner

Beast of Burden
A vivid, experimental, uninhibited, technical exploitation of words and poetic tools to clarify and/or illuminate the world.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't have strong opinions on Milton, but then I have't read Paradise Lost since, I don't know, 1998? I didn't hate it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Came across some brilliant Coleridge quotations on Milton last night, including:

In the Paradise Lost — indeed in every one of his poems — it is Milton himself whom you see; his Satan, his Adam, his Raphael, almost his Eve — all are John Milton; and it is a sense of this intense egotism that gives me the greatest pleasure in reading Milton's works. The egotism of such a man is a revelation of spirit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Pick a poem, Craner, any poem, and break it down for me - why is it good?

Then pick another poem, Craner, any poem, and break it down for me - why is it bad?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
(pope)
'Tis with our judgments as our watches, none
Go just alike, yet each believes his own.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd like for you to choose a pretty pair;
A poem that shows the ode at its most fair,
Another at its worst. So concentrate;
Forget your essay - fascism can wait!

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I substituted

'And fuck your'

with

'Forget your'

because 'get' chimes well with 'ess-ay'

but I think I lost something emphatic there

I like doing these pseudoparodypoems from time to time because it gives me the tiniest insight into what's going on with poetry proper

luka

It's forgiveable cos I just realised I didn't include me on my list. Error and oversight.