potential musical confessions of the 10s you may look back on in years

luka

If I can't get back to sleep it just means I'll be really tired by mid afternoon and I want to work really. Mind you at least I went home when I did. Just got a text from my mate I was with saying he's lying on someone's floor fucked on morphine. Which is not a good result in my book. Rather be posting bollocks on dissensus at 5:25

luka

I've never followed any house or techno stuff. I wouldn't know where to start. There's too much of it. Too much fairly good middling generic dance music.

luka

If I can't get back to sleep it just means I'll be really tired by mid afternoon and I want to work really. Mind you at least I went home when I did. Just got a text from my mate I was with saying he's lying on someone's floor fucked on morphine. Which is not a good result in my book. Rather be posting bollocks on dissensus at 5:25

Here's some texts I just sent him

If he's asleep spunk on his face for a laugh so when he wakes up he's got your sperm deposit in hes beard

All drying and sort of flaky like spunk dandruff

He goes "what's this in my beard it feels all stiff" and you go "it's my jizz mate. I spunked in your beard while you was asleep lol"

DannyL

Wild Horses
I hoped for a long time the more experimental anti-funk grooves about to collapse tendancies of dubstep would kind of coalesce into their own resistant scene, dubvert central? dubfunk? but it wasn't meant to be.

mad tune though.

That's fucking brilliant, more like that please.

Wuth Luka's generally on dance music, too much of it. Can just about manage with rap as the personalities and vocals give you a hook but I generally find dance fairly baffling. Esp as I never go to clubs now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've never followed any house or techno stuff. I wouldn't know where to start. There's too much of it. Too much fairly good middling generic dance music.

Rule 1 of house and techno is to avoid berlin at nearly all costs. and i mean literally nearly all. i think there's one techno dude from berlin I'd see, Hanno Hunkelbein. the other berliners like objekt are british expats. but yeah cutting berlin out of the game opens up so much possibilities though it really restricts you simultaneously because it is the official house and techno capital now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There are reasons why i would like to go back to Germany and the techno is probably right at the bottom lol

there are pockets of good stuff but more on the free party/squat end of things. really I'd only go to berghain to see Helena Hauff or Stingray or Jamal Moss. and that would be incidental. tbf i can't imagine spending 3 days in a club. a free party where i can trip my balls out laying in a field sure no problemo standard but clubs are just so claustrophobic after about 12 hours.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No need to be ashamed

You might as well be ashamed of an erection

Sure some of the stuff I loved sounds shit to me now. But some of the stuff I love now sounded shit to me then.

People act like musical taste is on a moral gauge. Fuck that. Like what you like, it doesn't hurt anybody.

How dare you like these chords.

How dare you like these hi hats.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But but but

I sympathise with this thread
Time is the only judge

What was Flava of the month is trash today

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sure, i like some very undissensus things. im not ashamed of anything i liked in the past, well ok i am clubland special d - come with me in 2004. that was fucking awful but as a whole my musical confessions are like oh ffs third, how could you have been so into something that was just as you say, flava of the month?

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You might as well be ashamed of an erection

be absolutely fair, there are legitimate times when you have to be ashamed of a raging erection. like when you wanna bone the shit out of your gcse supply teacher when you're 15

Last edited:

firefinga

The 2010s ey?

For me the 90s were my teenage-decade, the 2000s my twens and now the 2010s the decade of my personal age being in the 30s. Meaning, I had stopped following trends and (new) genres avidly at some point roughly 10 years ago. However I kinda tried to keep myself informed still.

And from that perspective, the 2010s were the decade of musical mediocracy for me - most of the current stuff I listened to during the now soon coming to an end-decade of the 2010s was decent, good, but not exciting. Except for my personal musical hobby - still avidly following Jungle (the breakbeat n bass-oriented stuff well outta the spotlight, still churning out tons of good stuff...) - there was little really catching my attention. Footwork for a while around 2012. The 2010s however delivered the most horrible music I have ever heard though, - "EDM" -an aural catastrophy of biblical proportions. I used to get quite entertained by "Die Antwoord" for a while as well.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

What i really rate about your taste is that when it comes to dance music you're just into the hits man, but you have a connoisseur taste in ambient/experimental electronics, indian classical, ocora and all that archival stuff.

i think in some senses thats a good way to be. otherwise you can be like my really dull mates who will start going into why a 2013 dubstep production is different to a 2015 one and it's like despairing fucking hell you really love the whole idea of club showbiz don't you. punch em in the face. it's a bit like corpsey's mates with techno. oh hang on i have an idea...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well i wanted to see if we shared some of the same boring music mag/promoter mates on fb but all i got was.

1 mutual friend, jack daniel law.

Skiddle
Skiddle
Ibiza Correspondant
2012 - 2013

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Kind of dread to think what a circa 2012 Oneman set would sound like to me now, even though I'd probably have really liked it at the time. Sometimes when going through tunes I'll come across some post-dubstep/post-funky track from around that time and I'd say at least half the time it really hasn't aged well.

Although I actually like a fair bit of Jam City's output still, this track is just...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kind of dread to think what a circa 2012 Oneman set would sound like to me now, even though I'd probably have really liked it at the time. Sometimes when going through tunes I'll come across some post-dubstep/post-funky track from around that time and I'd say at least half the time it really hasn't aged well.

Although I actually like a fair bit of Jam City's output still, this track is just...

Yeah all that shit has aged horribly

Even at the time, the disjunct between what was getting praised to the skies and the actual music was glaring.

Joy Orbison, Footcrab, Girl Unit 'Wut', etc. That Ramadanman tune 'Work them'.

I recall people being super hyped about these tunes and beginning to feel alienated from the taste of that community.

I don't mind some Night Slugs stuff though and I'm thankful for Kelela.

Was interesting in retrospect too cos although it was called 'post dubstep' it was really about a lot of dance music (recent and distant past) filtering through the sorts of people who were into dubstep, or at least finding some reception there. So you had stuff that channelled grime, rnb, techno, etc. Often in a sort of half-baked, not as good as the real thing way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
BUT it's easy to be critical

And it was a reflection of genuine excitement and I suppose the internet making it seem like everything could merge

Whereas I nowadays feel a bit more like barty with his multimonoculture yearnings.