potential musical confessions of the 10s you may look back on in years

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
For me it's dbridge and instra:mental fabriclive 50 around 2010. what was i thinking? i mean, i can still appreciate it has its moments, i might even enjoy it on a mellow friday night, but i thought this was really going to change dnb for the better again but it was really synthpop jungle weren't it? the criticism of it being dubstep at dnb tempo does hold to an extent. I don't want to slate it, i don't hate it or anything, but the time i held faith in it changing dnb for a while could have been much, much better spent elsewhere.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of the new jersey garage resurgence was a bit dull as well. not playing the good stuff but identical dub after identical dub with not much energy. went to a my love is underground night and it was pretty tasteful and connoisseur-like with not really a real crowd dynamic. could have been excavating more of the actual 90s US stuff and UK 2step.

I never got into future garage, thankfully. I also never got into the romanian minimal that used to get played at fabric i think. So all in all not so bad. one day I'll have to go through some of the noise/blackest ever black style dark electronics and see what's stood up. used to be really into Raime, think i still will be but idk.

I gave Orphx on adam x's sonic groove label a spin again the other week and that stuff is still great industrial techno. the stuff they did on Hands as well. glad I saw them live.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there was a really anally retentive straight bloke vibe at most club nights in the early 10s. The queer scene started shaking things up later and all power to them, it was much deserved. But by then I was done, really. Couldn't take the petty politics anymore.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I downloaded loads of weirdo death and black metal from around 13-15. Gorguts, Tombs, Wolves in the throneroom, artificial brain, pyrrhon etc. loads of albums with titles like Downfall of Gaia - 2014 - Aeon Unveils the Thrones of Decay. Can't really remember any of it though. Really all I go back to these days is Gorguts. so clinical and concise.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
come on lads talk to me!

8 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 1,366, 22-05-2015 at 12:07 AM.
thirdform blissblogger Corpsey IdleRich luka sufi

sufi

lala
not for an earth-shattering musical experience that's for certain.
It was a bit of a retro thing, in Brixton where i used to live, at a venue that i used to work at (in the 90's !!)
So perhaps it will be interesting to see how history reflects on the superape next decade

Leo

is this thread about things that stand out from the decade in a positive way, or things you thought were great back then but in retrospect are kind of lame, or haven't aged well?

I spent a year or so really into lots of the minimal techno on cadenza, which included some of that Romanian stuff, but that was before the '10s (2003-2011). it was pretty abstract and weird when it first came out and sounds amazing on a large rig but never really evolved and just got stuck in a rut.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Generally the latter, I.E: stuff you were into but in retrospect sounds awful. but in a rare case it could be prefering something to something else because of stereotypes or whatever and missing out on a lot.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
around 2012-15 i went through a proper dark hardcore phase, not just dark 93 but all sorts of serious hardcore, autonation sit on the bass ep etc etc. i guess it's a bit of a confession because i was shunning pianos and divas for a while but im happy i went through that phase because it kind of tuned my ear better to the development of the music and that's why my opinions on jungle are 100% scientific.

forclosure

The grime revial looking back on it makes me sigh now

But at least i can say i got to see some of my favourite MCs i never got to see when i was younger

also the one Grime Originals rave i went to at Birthdays where Stormin was jumpin around like a mad man on stage apart from his face you wouldnt have thought he just beat cancer

RIP that man

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I totaly missed out on pc music and that. I just know sophie. i was too in a dark hardcore phase when that blew up.

imo radar did a lot to make the grime revival even more comical than it already was but that's that.

pulse fm tape...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I hoped for a long time the more experimental anti-funk grooves about to collapse tendancies of dubstep would kind of coalesce into their own resistant scene, dubvert central? dubfunk? but it wasn't meant to be.

mad tune though.

luka

come on lads talk to me!

8 members and 21 guests
Most users ever online was 1,366, 22-05-2015 at 12:07 AM.
thirdform blissblogger Corpsey IdleRich luka sufi

I'm accidentally awake. I pointlessly drank all day and into the night. Fell asleep about 11 which is fine then got jolted awake about 4 which I hate because what do you do at that point? The 10s is when I mostly stopped listening to music except me and corpse were big on lex luger and jalil beats.