Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tunes like culture - two sevens clash?

weird juxtaposition.
    reading ab shabetai zvi and nathan of gaza today made me feel pretty Weird. thirdform u got any takes on the sabbatean thing

Quote Originally Posted by other_life View Post
    stuff which has an apocalyptic, relevatory resonance but a triumphant feel. apocalypse as revelatory, civilisation ending and not *world ending*. this is my mood right now.
    "i can see with my own eyes it's only a housing scheme that divide"
    you absolutely do not have to limit yourself to Roots
    I think you do have to limit yourself to roots because what you are asking for is very specific to 1970s Rastafarian Jamacia. You don't get that particular mode of consciousness and somatic affect, that mode of being, that set of notions concerning reality, anywhere else, which is why there has never been any music, not even Jamacian music, that is remotely similar. It's magical and intoxicating. Something amazing happened that was limited to that particular point, or that envelope, of spacetime.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

So even if you hear this

Which I love and is sampled on a classic jungle record, you can hear the Englishness of it. It jumps out at you as a distinct quality.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i feel like the uk stuff or the stuff that got popular in the uk has this production quality to it of stiffer/tighter-sounding drums, more digital modulation, just kind of a general sharpness/'sparkliness' compared to *roots* roots. would u say that's accurate?
    also idk it's a personal thing but lots of the stuff posted here doesn't feel as Triumphant as two sevens clash, or solid foundation. there's the judgement day mode ofc but idk that feels adjacent but subtly different?

Yes it's sharper, brighter, more metallic and angular

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

How much roots stuff do you know are you just dipping in or are you familiar?