tunes like culture - two sevens clash?

other_life

bioconfused
stuff which has an apocalyptic, relevatory resonance but a triumphant feel. apocalypse as revelatory, civilisation ending and not *world ending*. this is my mood right now.
"i can see with my own eyes it's only a housing scheme that divide"
you absolutely do not have to limit yourself to Roots

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yabby You - try and get the Blood and Fire comp, it's fucking incredible from start to finish.

Those horns....

Was reading something about him being involved in magic. Must have had an unusual take on spirituality, being a Christian. Not the sort of person you'd want laying a curse on you if the music is anything to go by.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I was just posted and deleted a heavy US private press thing 'cos I forgot about the Culture connection. How far away from roots do you want to go?

martin

----
Always thought "Be Thankful" by Bunny Clarke had a seriously melancholic, uneasy vibe totally at odds with its attempt at a positive message. Pregnant with dread.

Fabian's "Prophecy" also has a bit of an apocalyptic vibe, to these ears anyway. Ditto "Under Heavy Manners".

other_life

bioconfused
weird juxtaposition.
reading ab shabetai zvi and nathan of gaza today made me feel pretty Weird. thirdform u got any takes on the sabbatean thing

luka

stuff which has an apocalyptic, relevatory resonance but a triumphant feel. apocalypse as revelatory, civilisation ending and not *world ending*. this is my mood right now.
"i can see with my own eyes it's only a housing scheme that divide"
you absolutely do not have to limit yourself to Roots

I think you do have to limit yourself to roots because what you are asking for is very specific to 1970s Rastafarian Jamacia. You don't get that particular mode of consciousness and somatic affect, that mode of being, that set of notions concerning reality, anywhere else, which is why there has never been any music, not even Jamacian music, that is remotely similar. It's magical and intoxicating. Something amazing happened that was limited to that particular point, or that envelope, of spacetime.

luka

So even if you hear this

Which I love and is sampled on a classic jungle record, you can hear the Englishness of it. It jumps out at you as a distinct quality.

other_life

bioconfused
i feel like the uk stuff or the stuff that got popular in the uk has this production quality to it of stiffer/tighter-sounding drums, more digital modulation, just kind of a general sharpness/'sparkliness' compared to *roots* roots. would u say that's accurate?
also idk it's a personal thing but lots of the stuff posted here doesn't feel as Triumphant as two sevens clash, or solid foundation. there's the judgement day mode ofc but idk that feels adjacent but subtly different?