Phil Collins vs Peter Gabriel

luka

It's pretty even really. It's not like the original Phil Collins vs Paul McCartney thread which Collins won in a landslide with barely a breath of dissent. As a child all this music made me feel terrible. Incredibly enervating, anti music really, but I don't have such a strong reaction to it any more. Apart from another day in paradise which still makes my skin crawl.

sadmanbarty

you can tell if someone's upper- or lower- middle class by who there dad is.

my dad is peter gabriel. left wing. like yoosoo ndoorr.

whereas my mum's dad is phil collins. larking, short sleeved shirts, resents paying tax.

caroline lucas vs mark francois

Leo

complete flip over the decades: late 70s-90s, Peter was it, the serious artist making important music. Phil was the lightweight top-40 throwaway. since then, Peter has sounded dated and tiresome while Phil's genius eventually clicked.

I still respect Peter and don't leave the room if one of his songs comes on the radio, but as with bono his pandering political correctness could become a downer compared to Phil's more escapist hits.

plus, "in the air tonight" on "Miami vice", c'mon.

Last edited:

droid

Was listening to an interview with Marlon James recently where he praised Gabriels for the integrity of his approach to appropriation.

I think Ive said this before, but unless you lived through the 80's you cant understand just how impossibly appalling Phil Collins' influence actually was. It was as if a stupefying aerosol of the essence of blandness was being sprayed into the atmosphere and percolating into every pore of cultural experience.

Not such a fan of Gabriels TBH, but I think he did have a couple of sublime moments, and most importantly I dont get the urge to slit my wrists whenever I hear his music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's pretty even really. It's not like the original Phil Collins vs Paul McCartney thread which Collins won in a landslide with barely a breath of dissent. As a child all this music made me feel terrible. Incredibly enervating, anti music really, but I don't have such a strong reaction to it any more. Apart from another day in paradise which still makes my skin crawl.

I'd have voted McCartney, to piss you off if for nothing else

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was listening to an interview with Marlon James recently where he praised Gabriels for the integrity of his approach to appropriation.

I was gonna bring this up - what was the artist they brought up where he said people in Jamaica loved them while europeans/americans were hand wringing about them being culturally appropriators?

Leo

I think Ive said this before, but unless you lived through the 80's you cant understand just how impossibly appalling Phil Collins' influence actually was. It was as if a stupefying aerosol of the essence of blandness was being sprayed into the atmosphere and percolating into every pore of cultural experience.

this is completely true and exactly how I felt at the time...but for some reason it stopped bugging me later on. I'll still never spend penny on a Phil record, but the loathing has evaporated.

craner

Beast of Burden
What is there really apart from 'Easy Lover' and the drums on Grace and Danger?

We need Stelfox back to remind us.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The irony being that Phil Collins is probably a better person than Bret Easton Ellis, even taking into account the fax divorce. Didn't Phil have a breakdown about Liam Gallagher being rude to him or something? He's sensitive.