Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually could crowbar in the med to this thread, given its historic role as holiday destination for house, garage etc.

Imagine how profoundly different UK music would be if it was 31 degrees every day with beautiful clear sky. But we've had a little bit of that dashed in our cocktail.

luka

Aiya Napa, really good point. Third sometimes talks about various things as being our cheap synthetic Ibiza. I always liked that.

craner

Beast of Burden
Wow! New levels of spite and cattiness from Craner! Most vicious thing I've ever seen on disesensus! No applause for talent show performance. Meow!

No!!! I am in awe of this thread. I am literally stupefied by how good it is.

sadmanbarty

he carries big knives in videos. has all his mates in the background wearing masks.

he offers us the future in a visual and cultural language we can understand.

luka

Lil Wayne taking up skateboard riding sent seismic shockwaves throughout the culture. Semiotic scrambling. It's like when mobb deep tatooed the backs of their hands and dressed like rock stars

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"you ain't done no drills, you must be a hider. don't claim that's the life you live with your eyebrows pierced, you're a skateboard rider"
]

That second line is so rhythmically tight, the speed thing Luka was talking about... "Life you live, with ya eyebrow pierced" that's the British rhythm - dum-dum-dum da da dum-dum-dum.

And accent wise, life you live and eyebrow pierced I don't think would rhyme in Yankee?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is that rhythm to do with that swung beat you get in garage/2-step? Maybe Barty covered this already in which case sorry.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lukas point about British rappers dealing with the accent. Shakespeare - highly compressed, charged language replicating the rhythms of the spoken language.

The shortened vowels of the urban black British accent - the punctuating jabbing rhythms of garage grime drill.

Last edited:
luke asked me to post but i haven't got it in me to read 17 pages it is too sunny

anyway i got upto akkie listen and i think this thread is really missing about 7-8 years of south london rap lineage to actually understand how rap took over and then became drill tbh

i am an old man so i have more knowledge of south london rap i guess; simon78 could probably pipe in if he could be arsed

"post-grime" doesn't really work because in south london it all ran parallel; the first roadside gs gangsta grime tape is 2004. and curb on smash is a rap tape mate, don't care. same year as the first pdc tape

()
(not necessarily that good but pdc are pretty significant in all this and not talked about in these conversations)

everyone was making rap at the same time as early grime but south london ran with it. when i lived in catford it wasn't like you heard grime coming from the cars

2005 is the first giggs tape- bloody raw- with the sn1 tapes the year after that. 2007 you had young spray- realer than most, ard bodied (!), hollowman meets blade. peckham young guns the second generation of the sn1 stuff, so killa ki was a younger really.

the PYG lineage

all the crystal meth/fix dot'm/krept & konan murder 1 is like 2010, and when people really started talking about

so when people look at "early" road rap really it's already a scene that's been floating about for 7/8 years

sneakbo was already third wave of south london rap, and it's all that brixton gear that birthed afrobeats really. but listen to best of giggs 1 & 2, there's double-time ragga tunes because that's where it comes from

really the continuation of drill these days could be called a south london rap continuum if you really want to be a wanker about it. it's true though. i'd also argue this internal south london scene was basically over by the time look what the cat dragged in etc came out.

young mad b birthed the afrobeat sweetboys etc

Last edited:

luka

Brilliant thanks slackk. I talked a little bit about north star and pdc and that gang culture appearing ony radar a little bit but I don't have the knowledge cos I rely didn't like it but its a vital part of the story

forclosure

unrelated but the fact that luka you and barty consider me so strange is a bang up compliment in my eyes, never was one for the school talent show ting but there was a public speaking thing my secondary dedicated a day too that i did win.

god me doing a 100 not sure if my list would be any "good" feel like there would be alot of fumbles and for the tastes of this lot on here embarassing and "why????" choices but dunno maybe we can all get something out of it

luka

Really look forward to seeing it and I know they'll be lots of stuff I've never heard before

sadmanbarty

Lukas point about British rappers dealing with the accent. Shakespeare - highly compressed, charged language replicating the rhythms of the spoken language.

The shortened vowels of the urban black British accent - the punctuating jabbing rhythms of garage grime drill.

Shakes from the speare like William

forclosure

now that i think about it there will probably be more game talk than some would consider acceptable but considering alot of garage and early grime producers made some of their stuff on music 2000 off the PS1 should qualify