luka

it's a bit late for that now tbh. it took less than 6 months for drill to become coke advert music. a lesson for all the future land fans. man, i not seen anything move that quick.

This is sort of half true but to the extent that it is true is the extent to which it is ripe for mutation. It's an exhausted template but when you tweak it just a tiny bit (like the tablas in the one I posted on the road rap thread recently, Or like the showkey one I was banging on about here) it really stands out. Obviously the sound might be ditched wholesale as opposed to mutating. You can't operate as a criminal gang and do music because everyone's dead or in jail a year after you've got a little buzz round your name. It's not a long term proposition.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
6 months after you heard it third. It’s been around for ages.

yeh, but you heard king louie and chief keef in 2019. if we're doing call outs...

remember that you killed drill when blackdown started taking tips from you on twitter.

just to jolt ur memory.

Last edited:

luka

yeh, but you heard king louie and chief keef in 2019. if we're doing call outs...

remember that you killed drill when blackdown started taking tips from you on twitter.

just to jolt ur memory.

Yeah I noticed that blackdown

sadmanbarty

I could have taken him to my local kabab shop, he could have sampled the Lebanese bloke behind the counter and whacked it on a dubstep choon.

Instead he chose headie one...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
was vimto hanging around them weirdo hyperstition lot or what.

i always try to tempt him to do his one liners in the music forum but it never works. i mean, maybe he did kill jungle.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
barty can you send me a boring notepad text file of the list when you got time. I get annoyed with things going missing on yt. I know that's part of the magic but I'm a digital record collector. cheers mate.

sadmanbarty

sorry, didn't write it down anywhere. just did it from the top of my head and from going through my other youtube playlists.

it was spur of the moment. a jazz list.

sufi

lala
I dunno I don't think the meridian lot were middle class. The adenugas turned out to be very aspirational but if you look at it from the start with president t, bossman birdie, big h, it's not something that looks middle class at all. It's the meridian walk estate.
this is interesting... my neighbourhood

luka

luke asked me to post but i haven't got it in me to read 17 pages it is too sunny

anyway i got upto akkie listen and i think this thread is really missing about 7-8 years of south london rap lineage to actually understand how rap took over and then became drill tbh

i am an old man so i have more knowledge of south london rap i guess; simon78 could probably pipe in if he could be arsed

"post-grime" doesn't really work because in south london it all ran parallel; the first roadside gs gangsta grime tape is 2004. and curb on smash is a rap tape mate, don't care. same year as the first pdc tape

()
(not necessarily that good but pdc are pretty significant in all this and not talked about in these conversations)

everyone was making rap at the same time as early grime but south london ran with it. when i lived in catford it wasn't like you heard grime coming from the cars

2005 is the first giggs tape- bloody raw- with the sn1 tapes the year after that. 2007 you had young spray- realer than most, ard bodied (!), hollowman meets blade. peckham young guns the second generation of the sn1 stuff, so killa ki was a younger really.

the PYG lineage

all the crystal meth/fix dot'm/krept & konan murder 1 is like 2010, and when people really started talking about

so when people look at "early" road rap really it's already a scene that's been floating about for 7/8 years

sneakbo was already third wave of south london rap, and it's all that brixton gear that birthed afrobeats really. but listen to best of giggs 1 & 2, there's double-time ragga tunes because that's where it comes from

really the continuation of drill these days could be called a south london rap continuum if you really want to be a wanker about it. it's true though. i'd also argue this internal south london scene was basically over by the time look what the cat dragged in etc came out.

young mad b birthed the afrobeat sweetboys etc

I was really disappointed no one picked up on this and ran with it.

sadmanbarty

Examine it. The culture. the compost. South London archeology.

south london was never racially intergrated in the same way the east was.

the soundsystems didn't interact and fuse with white culture because the whites in lewisham and southwark were millwall nf supporters.

grime emerged from a multi-culturalism. garage and techstep are in its dna. the hardcore continuum is and by extension whiteness is too.

road rap didn't have that whiteness. it was just rap and dancehall.

rap became more overtly influential than jamaican music (when compared to the soundsytem heyday of the 70's and 80's) because the demography was increasingly african.

however it naturally reached a point where london wanted its own sound. it didn't just want to be copying us rap and using daseca/notnice riddims.

the classic uk move is to take something american and introduce jamaican elements and nuum elements into it so as to render it british. that's where the stuff i document on my list comes in. it takes the rap template but uses dancehall riddims and more grime/nuum ferocity.

drill then emerges once anything non-trap really fades altogether from prominent american hip hop by the mid-2010's. uk drill was the same template as before. take trap drums, but add jamaican influence (tresillo) and nuum influence (the rhythms and the bassline bass sounds).

Last edited: