Unified Field Theory of Tresillo

sadmanbarty

Tresillo

Dancehall is unique in that it’s principal rhythm isn’t the backbeat, but rather tresillo rhythms:

or in the last 10 years, clave rhtyhms like this (punnani for the first half of the bar, and a backbeat for the second half):

When you hear those emphasis outside of dancehall they’re often with a 4x4 kick, so it truly is unique to dancehall to have them presented on their own.

sadmanbarty

The UK

Due to our demography in the UK, dancehall informs our urban music. Many of the rhtyhms of the hardcore continuum are derived from those dancehall rhtyhms.

Sometimes it’s the exact same rhythm as punnani:

or that clave rhythm:

or the one over 4x4:

droid

Tsch! Martin Luther didn't nail half a sheet of paper to the door and then go off for a coffee did he?

luka

One of the reasons I love Taze is he is so audibly part of this thing, but that also why I don't think he is at all characteristic of drill

luka

The one where it is over the four four is new thing or part of it.... I think....

sadmanbarty

Post-Dancehall

The UK uses these rhythms as a springboard for other things. They move beyond the templates established in dancehall while retaining the underlying tresillo rhtyhms.

So now I’ll through examples of the complicated, convoluted, hidden and subtle ways in which these types of tressillo rhythms are presented in UK music.

sadmanbarty

UK Funky

0.00- Punnani for the first half of the bar. Tresillo over 4x4 for the second.

2.00- 1st half of the bar is tresillo over 4x4, the second has punnani kicks

3.55- This is a bit complicated to explain this one. Essentially punnani isn’t just a tresillo looped. It actually cuts short at the end. This beat doesn’t cut it short and lets the tresillo do one full loop over a 4x4 kick.

5.20- Tresillo over 4x4

6.10- Tresillo over 4x4

8.00- 1st half of the bar is tresillo over 4x4, the second is punnani

9.44- That’s the same as 3.55

11.45- Another complicated one to explain. One bar of the tresillo doing a full loop. Then a bar where it trips up at first, so the tresillo stars at a different point in the bar.

Etc.

0.00- Clave

2.20- Tresillo over 4x4

5.55- Fully looped tresillo over 4x4

7.00- Tresillo over 4x4 for the first half of the bar

10.15- Tresillo over 4x4, plus tresillo ride cymbal as well.

12.15- Punnani kicks in a one drop rhythm

etc.

luka

I probably said it in my house drunk and forgot it. But it's Barty week so you can have it

sadmanbarty

Grime

0.30- A back beat followed by a punnani

4.10- That quarter not emphasis is tresillo

8.15- One bar of backbeat followed by one bar of clave

8.30- This is great. It’s two tresillos overlapping each othe. The 2nd tresillo beginning on the last note of the 1st one.

11.50- Half a bar of backbeat, followed by half a bar of tresillo

12.45- Half a bar of backbeat, followed by half a bar of tresillo

etc.

1.50- Clave

3.45- Clave, but with some of the notes in the middle removed

4.45- If you listen in half time it’s actually a tresillo over 4x4. But then you also have tresillo kicks at the proper speed as well.

5.50- Another half speed tresillo over 4x4

7.30- Clave

18.20- Half time tresillo bass growls with noral speed tresillo hi hats

etc.

0.00- Backbeat followed by tresillo

2.20- Calve

11.30- Half time tresillo

13.00- That Jon E Cash one I poste upthread

16.22- Tresillo kicks on a one drop

etc.

sadmanbarty

Jungle

Set the youtube settings to 1.25 speed and hopefully you’ll hear all the tresillo. If not I can offer assistance