Early 90's Rap City Classics

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I would explain it, but you know, why bother? It's the 90's and everything since the 90's. So three decades. Put as simply as possible: nostalgia became a commodity. These songs/videos, for me at least, represent the final gasp before the zombie apocalypse hit.

Leo

I would explain it, but you know, why bother? It's the 90's and everything since the 90's. So three decades. Put as simply as possible: nostalgia became a commodity. These songs/videos, for me at least, represent the final gasp before the zombie apocalypse hit.

have we reached the end of retromania?

firefinga

why do you feel the 90s is different from any other decade when it comes to nostalgia?

I was a big Hip Hop fan (admittedly, as a teenager) during the early 90s (91-94), but stopped listening to Hip Hop around 96/97.

When I listen to stuff like Gangstarr or Eric B today (which I still occ. do) I don't do it out of nostalgia, I do it due to the sheer quality of the music. Today's auto-tune Hip-Hop-by-numbers doesn't give me that. I guess there is still quality out there, but I am a grown man today and don't have the time for the digging.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
lol you weren't even born for these videos.

yeah whatever that means.... did you know women like Keri Wuhrer and Vanna White still look hot af because I had a toddler micro-erection for them? Wait why would you know that? And why would you assume I wasn't born before these videos? I got into rap in the late eighties but back then it was, you know, more about the parental advisory sticker and seeing what these guys could get away with saying in a medium made for and marketed to youth. But now I see the artistry and genius. I mean, to this day no one's flow has surpassed Big Daddy Kane's. Plenty have reached his level, no one has surpassed it.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Either this or Bobby Brown's "Humpin' Around" single was the first cassette I bought with my very own money.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Nucleus is doing Stolen Valor.

I guess that would be possible for me, since we have a classic hip hop/R&B station in Atlanta (97.9.... check it out on your radio app), but most of their playlist is post-commercial, post-suburbanized (ie white) hip hop, like DMX and Puff Daddy. Every now and then you'll get a true classic like "The Choice is Yours" or "OPP," but those were crossover mainstream hits. I'm looking for stuff that was still (sorry to be unsubtle) black, or pre-white. lol jesus "pre-white"