Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A review of Padraig (U.S)

Is this not an opportunity for a mass Dissensus piss up? WTF is wrong with you slackers, why has no one suggested a pub yet?

I'm going to this on Thursday - you said weird, so here you go: https://www.thehorsehospital.com/eve...gressive-magic
    Sold out I think but I could ask the dude who's putting it on.

Treadwells is always a good bet. This is happening on Tues which might float yer boat: https://www.treadwells-london.com/ev...ods-of-england
    Also sold out but I have *never* not been able to get into a sold out talk there. Show up and look keen. Someone on the shop staff will be good to talk to about London historical sites.

Also on that note, Museum of London? They have an excellent collection of artefacts from all ages. I might well be taking my daughter there tomorrow if you want to hang out with an inarticulate uncivilised Id-on-legs (and his kid).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Is this not an opportunity for a mass Dissensus piss up? WTF is wrong with you slackers, why has no one suggested a pub yet?
    No one drinks we've all switched to hallucinogenics. Saying that does padraig drink? I know he's a serious fitness freak.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Padraig doesn't drink.

Probably too trite or poncey for most of you lot but a visit to Gordon's wine bar near embankment, not far from trafalgar Square is definitely a very London thing worthy of an hour of your time. Dickensian vibes, good wine and cheese and just a great taste of a time well gone by.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

I used to frequent Gordon's. It's the sort of place that made Luke feel unwell.

I would've put money on that. But for a visitor it's pretty cool and as old/quaint London as you could hope to find. Also the Palm Tree pub in Mile end is another very old school London treat that a visitor would no doubt be charmed by. Probably hated by Luka too. But I'm just trying to think from a visitors perspective who's looking for something they could only find in London. If you're still there on Sunday they have live jazz which can then be followed up by a trip to the haggerston pub's jazz jam session up on Kingsland Road which goes on til very late. Both for free to boot.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Actually we both loved the Palm Tree.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

The palm tree is not hated by me. It was actually invented by me and was a pivotal meeting spot for the pre-dissensus and proto-dissensus crew. I took them all there. Craner lots of times, woebot, K-Punk, etc etc early '00s.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It was practically on my doorstep for a lot of that time, which was helpful.

Probably my favourite old pub in central London is the Seven Stars in Aldwych, which thankfully isn't overly touristy. Decent food too, actually. It's full of legal-theme tat because it sits in the middle of the Inns of Court. The Old Cheshire Cheese just off Fleet Street is great too - it was rebuilt the year after the Great Fire on the site of an existing inn, but most of it is below ground, in the cellars of what used to be a Carmelite monastery, dating back to the 13th century. The Grapes in Limehouse is also very old - it nearly shut down a few years ago, I think, but Ian McKellan bought it.

These places are so integral to the history and fabric of the city that I'd have thought they'd be well worth a visit even for a non-drinker.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 28-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Some good suggestions on museums here, but there's also the point luka was hinting at on the last page, which is that London as a whole is in a sense a museum to itself. Because it's been so thoroughly burned, bombed and redeveloped, it doesn't have a Colosseum and tons of ancient churches like Rome, but it wasn't renovated according to a conscious and more or less rational plan in recent times either, like Paris was. So while most of the city as it existed at the time was destroyed in the Great Fire, the new streets were constructed right on top of the old streets, so even to this day the street plan in the City itself is largely unchanged from mediaeval times and in some cases even Roman times. (Which is great for the modern historian, tourist or flaneur, but was not so great for poor Londoners of the 18th and 19th centuries, who lived in dingy, narrow, winding streets and alleys that were no less conducive to disease and crime than they had been hundreds of years earlier.) Old Street is called that because it's the old Roman road out of the city into Essex - it reappears a few miles further east as Roman Road, just north of Bow Road near where I used to live. Some of the streets follow the course of rivers that have been imprisoned underground for hundreds of years. The Walbrook is really the Welshbrook - the stream that once formed the frontier between the English and the 'Welsh' (Britons). At Sloane Square tube station there is an anonymous box-shaped metal structure running above the tracks which contains the river Westbourne:

Sloan_Square_Tube_Station_London_and_Westbourne_river.jpg

And this stuff is everywhere - the deep past lingering on in hidden, unobvious or incorporeal ways. I know the whole psychogeography thing now looks a bit like a fad that came and went in the last decade, but London is really the psychogeographer's city par excellence.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 28-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Good post. The museum of London has a lost rivers exhibition on at the moment. But where is Padraig anyway!

He's being held in Heathrow Terminal 5.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

when i was in london once i liked all the tropical birds and plants and that they were selling these gigantic slugs on the market. what even to do with them?