Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wilhelm Reich

im not sure but when i read "listen, little man" i felt like i was being violently shaken by the shoulders
    "When you hear about my orgone, you don't ask, "What can it do to cure the sick?" No. You ask, "Is he licensed to practice medicine in the state of Maine?" Don't you realize that though you and your wretched licenses can obstruct my work a little, you can't stop it; that I have a
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

It's an unpleasant hectoring little book

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I mean,

... is a very broad set.

Are all educational experiments to be tarred with the same brush? Can we not conceive of schooling that's better than what we have now?
    Thereís a risk of ignoring people who turned out fine, certainly. I donít think Summerhill is the same as Steiner schools.

But we canít wilfully ignore the downsides either and experimenting on children is not something to be done casually.

it is posh shit though. like burning man with a conscience.

I'm definitely a globalist or nothing global communism or nothing. probably why i wouldn't say I'm much of an anarchist.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

My problem isn't that our education system is problematic, it's that it is utterly useless.
    I respect islamists

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Jon: Yeah, I hear you but education is continually fucked around with and experimented with by the forces of the state - the Goveian reworking of A level system (which I've been suffering from directly), academisation to the horror that is a boarding school system. Maybe this is whataboutery but it's worth saying I think. The specific context that Neill was reacting to has now gone though and schools are much more humane than they used to be so I guess you could say he won a small moral victory, but schools still don't have that fundamental trust in kids and their ability to learn that he expressed, that's still there. It's the clearest expression of anarchism in action that I've seen.

It's worth saying for me 'cos I do get that kinda universal reaction whenever I mention the school and I wonder what that's about.

Third: David Gribble wrote this book specifically to counter that argument:https://www.libed.org.uk/index.php/b...-david-gribble

Not trying to do internet based adversarial YOU WRONG shit here. It's just worth mentioning. The book features a school for poor kids in India, a very moving story about a school for poor "difficult" disadvantaged kids in Scotland, back in the 50s IIRC.

The "it will only work with posho" argument is itself an example of class prejudice as it posits there's something inherent about middle class children that will respond to respect and autonomy, and this is absent from working class kids. I don't see any reason why this is true. If you want to read HMU and I'll post it to you.

In general though I'm more interested in the local and particular than the global.
    Last edited by DannyL; 03-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    My problem isn't that our education system is problematic, it's that it is utterly useless.
    By design.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Bunch of films here about a range of different free schools:

https://www.libed.org.uk/index.php/videos

Think I will try and watch all of these over the next few days.

A couple of things about Summerhill, that were only evident on my visit as opposed to reading the literature.

1) I wasn't aware of how tribal it is - meant in a good way. It's a boarding school and the people showing us round said several times that only boarders get the full benefits in that they become fully part of the school's culture. I got the sense of a powerful shared culture and set of norms rooted in autonomy and self-respect that are kinda maintained and initiated by the school staff but internalised by the kids.

2) I saw this in action in one of the school's meetings. These are thrice weekly and where rules and discipline are negotiated in a group. Staff and pupils (no matter what age) all have an equal vote. Seeing them negotiate shared issues - from the small bureaucratic matters to one quite involved case of one kid who'd been bugging and upsetting lot of others - with such care, deliberation and good grace caused the strangest sensation. I almost couldn't believe it was real. I felt like they were actors in a play being put on just for me. I understand this now as I was encountering something very far outside of my normal range of references that my brain was scrambling to make sense of it and also to reject it. I couldn't thus the dissonance. I could say it impacted on my armouing in Reichian terms. The nearest parallel sensation I can think of is when you go travelling and can't quite process the fact that you're in the Himalayan foothills or wherever it is.

I hope to go back there sometime this year to ground this experience.
    Last edited by DannyL; 03-06-2019 at 01:00 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Jon: Yeah, I hear you but education is continually fucked around with and experimented with by the forces of the state - the Goveian reworking of A level system (which I've been suffering from directly), academisation to the horror that is a boarding school system. Maybe this is whataboutery but it's worth saying I think. The specific context that Neill was reacting to has now gone though and schools are much more humane than they used to be so I guess you could say he won a small moral victory, but schools still don't have that fundamental trust in kids and their ability to learn that he expressed, that's still there. It's the clearest expression of anarchism in action that I've seen.

It's worth saying for me 'cos I do get that kinda universal reaction whenever I mention the school and I wonder what that's about.

Third: David Gribble wrote this book specifically to counter that argument:https://www.libed.org.uk/index.php/b...-david-gribble

Not trying to do internet based adversarial YOU WRONG shit here. It's just worth mentioning. The book features a school for poor kids in India, a very moving story about a school for poor "difficult" disadvantaged kids in Scotland, back in the 50s IIRC.

The "it will only work with posho" argument is itself an example of class prejudice as it posits there's something inherent about middle class children that will respond to respect and autonomy, and this is absent from working class kids. I don't see any reason why this is true. If you want to read HMU and I'll post it to you.

In general though I'm more interested in the local and particular than the global.
    Oh, no, sorry, I think we got wires crossed here. I was meaning to say that such initiatives in 2010s Britain would essentially be burning man with a conscience, not that working class people need strict regulating tailorist authority, absolutely not!

Granted we all have class prejudices to a degree, even the most class conscious communist or anarchist, so it's understandable you brought that up, but i did find that remark to be like throwing a molatov cocktail... feeling called out...

I actually find it's middle class people who impose tailorist task management on themselves outside work. they internalise that mindset, they build walls around themselves, like management deligates tasks on the job, and hence they believe they are respectful and caring, but it is only really amicability as pleasantry as friendship.

For whatever reasons this attitude is very prominent in America, amongst American progressives, but it also seems to be something i find in my age group. i can't say i actually really have any friends in london these days, a gay Jewish girl and another post-punk witch, but mostly my mates are online.
    Last edited by thirdform; 03-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    I respect islamists

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Yeah, no worries I thought as much. I was eliding two things I think - your comment and the standard line of attack that I've encountered a lot which runs "well that may work for middle class kids but .... " [insert unspoken statement about how the speaker is actually really tough and almost working class, they went to the school of hard knocks but they "turned out alright"].

Just wanted to put it down in B&W as it is as I said, so fucking standard.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post: