Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Brexit Party.

A Corbynite Labour/BXP coalition? Christ, can you even imagine?

Never gonna happen though. It's important for Corbyn, McCluskey et al to maintain the illusion that there is "good" economic nationalism (their kind) and "bad" economic nationalism (the Tory Leaver/UKIP/BXP kind).

Edit: important to them, I mean - don't think anyone else really gives a fuck.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 02-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    A Corbynite Labour/BXP coalition? Christ, can you even imagine?

Never gonna happen though. It's important for Corbyn, McCluskey et al to maintain the illusion that there is "good" economic nationalism (their kind) and "bad" economic nationalism (the Tory Leaver/UKIP/BXP kind).

Edit: important to them, I mean - don't think anyone else really gives a fuck.
    I was not suggesting a coalition between Labour and BXP necessarily.

The BXP is itself a coalition right now, to some extent. Once the election is over, the die may to an extent be cast and who knows whether they will be held together by Farage.

I doubt Corbyn will be as precious as you think if it means he gets No. 10. Bookies have best price 5/1 on an overall majority for Labour at the next GE; most likely he is going to have to form a coalition. And if it's a choice between the Brexit Party and the Liberal Democrats (possibly merged with CHUK), well....you might be surprised who he chooses to get in to bed with. No I don't think he will deal with Farage, but other Brexit Party MPs might be a different story.
    Last edited by comelately; 03-06-2019 at 11:48 PM.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...munna-lib-dems

So it looks like Chuka Umunna will just defect to the Lib Dems. I'm pretty sure he's fucked if he tries to run in Streatham again, but he might be able to find a seat he can win for the LibDems.

Of course I had forgotten the SNP - he can probably get the SNP on board in exchange for another referendum. But how much chaos do we need? And well, we can hardly pretend there wouldn't be a border if Scotland went back into the EU now, can we?

A really interesting question is if SNP would deal with BXP if it got them what they wanted. Probably.

The permutations are almost exhilarating.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    he said how embarrassed he was about his part in it and that he's since learned to make birds squirt since and it's all water under the bridge
    haha not exactly my recollection

I'm basically a mirror version of what comelately said, i.e. would stand by all what I said etc (and also lol just a bit @ my dude still throwing semi-veiled shade like 6 years later)

more like, hard to believe I ever gave enough of a shit to argue the point w some dude on the internet

was telling luke how hilarious it is thinking back how we all really did not understand the internet then, tho tbf no one did really

the time wasted in senseless, ephemeral flame wars

all seems quite quaint now too given what a fucking cesspool large chunks of online life have devolved into

anyway, it is definitely water under the bridge

let not the silver age of dissensus be marred by the disputes of yesteryear

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-british-steel

So the first BXP policy that isn't just 'We want a Brexit'.

Obviously they're trying to at least to appear to straddle left and right a bit - though I suspect more tokenistic with the former (do lefty things with one company, reduce business rates/taxes for all). I think they'll struggle to win Labour seats at the next GE (clearly they will win Peterborough on Thursday), but I think their long-term strategy is to force electoral reform anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-british-steel

So the first BXP policy that isn't just 'We want a Brexit'.

Obviously they're trying to at least to appear to straddle left and right a bit - though I suspect more tokenistic with the former (do lefty things with one company, reduce business rates/taxes for all). I think they'll struggle to win Labour seats at the next GE (clearly they will win Peterborough on Thursday), but I think their long-term strategy is to force electoral reform anyway.
    "in a curious twist, it turns out that the Brexit Party candidate for the Peterborough by-election - Mike Greene - is a former business partner of Greybull Capital, the private equity group which let British Steel collapse into administration a few weeks ago" - https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status...65758104412161

"Leader of the Brexit Party Nigel Farage has delivered a letter to Prime Minister Theresa May demanding his party is involved in the Government's Brexit negotiations."