Returning from Brazil

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
First of all if there's anyone between Paris where I land and Berlin where I'm headed who would like to meet up, talk shit, do psychs or any other dissensian approved activities, let me know. I really have no idea how I'll be moving from P to B so any potentially interesting stops on the way would be welcome. I'm basically broke so I guess I'll be hitch hiking. Life has taken a self-steered turn for the austere and the next few months are going to be interesting to say the least. So far have looked up studying for free in Scandinavia, woofing and a few other work in return for shelter options. If anyone has any other ideas they would be more than welcome.

Wrt Brasil, I wish I'd never left são paulo state. The vast majority of the country is in the ruins its famous for. Bahia was my original destination, sent by a free spirited hippy girl I met in morocco. Turns out its totally fucked and left to rot with a few gated exusive spots on the coast for the disgustingly rich to hang out in. Town im in right now, Arembepe, which is near the airport is like some twighlight zone shit. Weird stares in people's eyes. Maybe a Brazilian grimsby or something. Urgh.

luka

You have to be careful with those free spirited hippy girls. They're insulated from reality at some slightly demented level. Everythings rose tinted. We can't live like them. Ugliness and suffering intrude.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
And there's always some long, wavy haired guy called Juan just waiting to whisk them off their feet and take them to a secret local samba spot where folks like us would probably not fit in. I think that's really not too far from the reality of her situation. Totally different view from the hostel/budget traveller set I was in. But whatever. I def gained a lot from the whole experience.

Biggest challenge when back is gonna be making some dough.

The London offer is more than appreciated and would be a total pleasure to interface with some of you lot but as I've said before I'd rather avoid England for as long as I can. We just don't see eye to eye for the most part. Mind you, the more I travel the more I realise its me more than anything. There are moments of majestic and sublime connections with people from all walks of life (including funnily enough, a very sound lad I met in Rio who lives in Greenwich called Sam). The very opposite too natch, but they're all too transitory. That's why what you said about roots and having mates is so on point. Gives you the ability to live in most places and not be as receptive to whatever's emanating from the wallpaper. That's been maybe one of the main things I've gleaned from this wild trip in this mad land. Kinda like the guy from into the wild I guess. You gotta share it.

This far it's just not been my fate to hold on to places or people for long enough to ever feel 'rooted'

This post brought to you by a sleep deprived, half a day til the flight, laying in a roach infested love motel with those awful synthetic sheets, me, with my head lucid and swimming with all that's happened in the last 10 or so months and how boring old Germany doesn't sound so bad atm. I wonder how long that will last.

Didn't mean to turn this into a blog but too late

Last edited:

luka

Nah I like it and I rate you for trying to find a way out. You've been very brave. There's no ideal answer. All we can do is squirm on the hook. Its not as though everything is ideal here with my very tenuous 'roots'....

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
All that remains is about .75g of some rather nice hash, a secluded bit of beach half an hours wlak away and my still waiting to be properly started copy of Tropic of cancer

Leo

hollywood has produced films based on much less interesting foreign adventure stories than yours. perhaps you'll write a short story about the cultural and emotional entanglements, get it published in the New Yorker, have it optioned for a screen play, land an executive producer credit, wind up in Cannes for the premiere and end up back in Brazil during the worldwide press tour.

just a thought.

kidding aside, I marvel at your adventure and very glad you shared it here. obviously it hasn't all been easy and fun, but it's a pretty cool thing you did. best of luck in the next phase.

luka

And there's always some long, wavy haired guy called Juan just waiting to whisk them off their feet and take them to a secret local samba spot

This is key.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Surprising amount of Notre Dame still standing. It's cold and wet. Only one couch surfing request accepted.. A naturist. Pretty cool to be able to drink water straight from taps imo.