Hypocrisy

version

It's often seen as something of a silver bullet, but how much weight does it really hold as a criticism?

version

The other day I was watching the Liverpool/Barca tie in the Champions League and the Liverpool fans were ripping Suarez, a formerly beloved player of theirs, to pieces for playing exactly the way he did for them during his time with the club.

Obviously there was a lot of back and forth online and accusations of hypocrisy were tossed around, but what struck me was the fact that a decent number of Liverpool fans simply said something along the lines of "Well, yeah. He doesn't play for us anymore" and that was that. There was no real way to respond because they'd already admitted to being hypocritical and they felt that it was perfectly logical to be so.

You can see it with Trump and his supporters too. He's attacked all manner of people for all manner of things which he himself does all the time yet it doesn't seem to matter. They don't really care about the action at all, just the person carrying it out.

Leo

shocker: lots of people aren't honest.

many are perfectly willing to ignore an inconvenient truth when it suits their interests or agenda, and an amoral narcissist like trump feeds off that. in sports (or politics), it's tribalism: unwavering faith and devotion to the team/cause take precedence over facts or civil behavior.

sadly, I don't think people will even change, not a lot you can do about it. in more quaint times, some people could be shamed into changing but now they often just get emboldened.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not really a concept in Italian politics. This is why Italy is such a successful political laboratory: Fascism, Eurocommunism, Berlusconi.

sadmanbarty

rastas aren't keen on hypocrites.

although its not uncommon to have an album that has songs titled "equal rights" and "bun wicked chi chi man" back to back.